News

No survivors in Rancho Quemado shooting

Police have identified the four people killed in yesterday’s shooting in Rancho Quemado.

They are: 21-year-old Shaquille Dottin, 17-year-old Jabari Toby, and 17-year-old Alafia Augustine of Alexander Village, Santa Flora; and 28-year-old Anthony Alexander of Claxton Bay.

Police are probing whether the murders were drug-related.

According to reports, the men were seated in a silver Wagon at a house in Rancho Quemado, when at about 6 pm, two gunmen opened fire on them.

Erin police responded to reports of the shooting and found Dottin, Toby and Alexander dead.

IWRN calls for stringent measures to protect children

The International Women's Resources Network (IWRN) is calling for agencies, families and parents to be more proactive, when it comes to protecting children in this country.

The demand comes in the wake of the death of 8-year old Makeisha Maynard who was beaten to death by her father on Sunday.

The IWRN has expressed disappointment at all the individuals—including family members and agencies—who it says failed the little girl.

WASA: Vandalism affecting water supply in North East Trinidad

Parts of North East Trinidad are without pipe-borne water at present because of a problem at the  Aripo  Water  Treatment  Plant.

And an official statement from the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA) is advising that the issue won’t be fully solved until Thursday 13 February, 2020.

According to the statement, WASA says the disruption in the normal pipe borne water supply is due to the facility being out of operation, following an act of vandalism.

Depot Road Farmers need pond dredged...Ministry promises help

Farmers at Depot Road in Longdenville are calling on an intervention from the Ministry of Agriculture to assist in the irrigation of their crops as there is no pipe-borne water.

The farmers, who have been accessing water via a pond, are predicting severe drought for the 2020 Dry Season, similar to what they experienced last year.

The existing pond is filled with silt and is in dire need of dredging.

Three men held for offences against children

The Child  Protection  Unit (CPU) is once again advising all parents and guardians to  be  extremely  vigilant  concerning  their  children’s  overall well-being,  and to take  all  preventative  measures  to  ensure their children’s safety is not jeopardised.

The warning comes as the CPU conducted several intelligence-led exercises over the weekend, which led to arrest of three  men for several offences against children.

38 Venezuelan nationals held in Woodbrook exercise

Thirty-eight Venezuelan nationals were arrested by officers of the Port of Spain Division during an anti-crime exercise conducted in the Woodbrook District early this morning.

The exercise was conducted  between 3:30am  and 6:00am, on Tuesday 11 February 2020,  at  a  nightclub  at  the  corner  Ariapita  Avenue  and  Carlos  Streets, Woodbrook.

A  search  of  the  establishment  resulted  in  29  female  and  nine  male Venezuelan  nationals  being  arrested.  Among  the  females,  five  were between the ages of 15 and 17.

Carnival police patrols at all beaches

Ahead of the bloodshed and mayhem seen since the start of the year, Municipal Police Officers have joined forces with the T&T Police Service (TTPS) to make Carnival 2020 safe.

Local Government Minister Kazim Hosein says the Municipal Police Service has rolled out its security plan for the upcoming Carnival season.

Minister Hosein has confirmed that a full complement of officers will be patrolling beaches and other public places.

Police officers arrested for human trafficking

Two police officers, along with a Venezuelan national, have been detained in connection with trafficking in persons and other gang related activities.

The trio were arrested during an anti-crime exercise overnight in the Central Division.

The officers, who are assigned to Central Division Police and also live in the area, had their respective homes and lockers at the station searched.

The home of the Venezuelan national also was searched.

Murder in Embacadere

Police are on the scene of a murder in Embacadere, San Fernando.

According to reports, Marlon La Guerra, also known as Triple, was at his home along Circle Drive Extension around 8.30 am when a gunman entered his house.

He was shot several times.

The gunman ran off.

On hearing the loud explosions, residents in the area contacted the police who responded and discovered the man lying in a pool of blood.

La Guerra was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital where he died.

 

---

Story by KEVON FELMINE

Man chopped and wounded in Central Trinidad

A 36-year-old Nigerian national is currently warded at hospital following a chopping incident this morning.

CNC3 NEWS understands that shortly after 7am, a man, who is yet to be identified, was accosted by another man in the vicinity of Busy Corner in Chaguanas.

According to eyewitnesses, an altercation ensued and the man was dealt several chops about the body.

The chopping incident happened in the full glare of members of the public, who scampered to safety.

The injured man was taken to hospital where he remains warded in a serious condition.

Pages