We see tomatoes in every grocery, market and fruit stand. It’s time for this everyday ingredient to shine. Local plum tomatoes are used to make this bright, simple and refreshing savoury tart. There’s a beautiful harmonious balance between the light, crumbly dough, juicy roasted tomatoes and silky cream cheese (..and it’s even better served alongside a glass of cold Sauvignon Blanc!)
Tomato and Herb Tart
Yields: One 9-inch tart
Total Time: 2 hours
For the savoury tart shell:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into small cubes
⅓ cup water, ice cold
For the filling:
1 pound tomatoes, washed and cut into wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
For the garnish:
3 teaspoons olive oil
Crumbled feta cheese or grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh herbs* (basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary)
*Although fresh is ideal, dried Italian seasoning can be used as well if you’re in a pinch for the fresh herbs.
- Combine flour, salt, and cold butter in the bowl of a food processor or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Pulse ingredients together in the food processor/mixer until the butter and flour mixture resemble the size of small peas.
- Stream cold water into the bowl until the dough forms a ball.
- Remove dough and shape into a round disk, about 1 inch in thickness. Wrap in plastic film and chill for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour has passed, roll out the dough out onto a floured surface, about ¼ thickness.
- Carefully transfer onto a greased, 9-inch round baking dish and let chill for 20 minutes in refrigerator.
- After 20 minutes, use a fork to poke holes through the base and sides of the dough. (This will prevent the dough form puffing up too much in the oven.)
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato wedges, olive oil, salt, black pepper and lemon juice together; toss and set aside.
- Spread softened cream cheese into the baked tart shell.
- Add tomato mixture to tart shell. You can arrange them in any way you’d like.
- Brush the entire tart with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with feta or parmesan cheese and herbs.
Favourite count ids: