Sixty-eight workers of the National Petroleum Marketing Company (NP) will return to work around nine tomorrow morning after 17 months off the job, following their successful court ruling last week.
The Court of Appeal on Friday upheld a 2014 ruling of the Industrial Court for the workers to be reinstated.
OWTU President General Ancel Roget will join the workers as they return to the company tomorrow and will give an address prior to the workers reentering the compound.
NP has also been ordered to pay the workers’ salaries and uphold the benefits they lost when they were dismissed in October 2014.
NP to pay workers $40,000 each
The court also upheld the Industrial Court’s decision to award each worker $40,000 in damages for the action taken by the company.
NP has said it would immediately commence a reconciliation and reintegration programme for the successful workers.
“In spearheading the return-to-work programme for the workers, a detailed programme has been developed in conjunction with a number of key stakeholders that will ensure the successful reintegration of the dismissed employees, while also attending to the needs of the existing employees,” the company said in a statement Friday.
According to the evidence in the case, in October 2014 NP fired the 68 workers who it claimed had engaged in an illegal work stoppage from August 13-15, 2013.
The 68 were among 86 employees the company had initially suspended following the work stoppage.
FOR MORE TOP STORIES: http://www.cnc3.co.tt/latest-news