Another man dies in a police-involved shooting

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 - 12:15

A robbery suspect was shot by police during a high-speed chase along the Churchill Roosevelt Highway on Tuesday morning.

He was pronounced dead on arrival at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mount Hope.

Police allegedly recovered a firearm from the vehicle he was in.

According to a police report, at about 1.20 am, police were responding to a report of a home invasion at Dinsley, Tacarigua, as well as to an all-points bulletin (APB), which described the suspects and the getaway vehicle they were in. The officers spotted the vehicle in the vicinity of the University of the West Indies along the Churchill Roosevelt Highway.

When the officers attempted to intercept the vehicle, however, the driver of the car continued driving.

The officers gave chase.

Guardian media understands that just after they passed the traffic lights at the Curepe intersection, the officers were allegedly fired upon. The officers returned fire.

The vehicle was subsequently intercepted at Grand Bazaar.

One of the suspects fled the scene, while another, identified as Damion George, was found in the car, bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds.

He was rushed to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

A Glock .40mm pistol was allegedly found on the scene and seized.

Police confirm that George, who lived at Water Bridge Road, Diego Martin, was the sixth person to be shot and killed by police officers for the year.

On 11 January, a man from Maraval was shot and killed by police in a shootout at Cameron Hill, Maraval.

On 7 January, 41-year-old Justin Kendell was shot during a police-involved shooting at a house at Bamboo #2 in Valsayn, by officers of the Special Operations Response Team (SORT). He died at hospital.

On 6 January, two bandits were shot and killed by an off-duty police officer in an attempted robbery at a bar along Arima Old Road, Arima.

On 1 January, murder suspect Jamal Bain was shot and killed by a police officer attached to the Special Force Unit on New Year's Day.