Chaos as new traffic plan rolls out in Sangre Grande

Date: 
Thursday, March 14, 2019 - 08:15

A new traf­fic plan im­ple­ment­ed in San­gre Grande left scores of dri­vers con­fused and re­sult­ed in traf­fic grid­lock stretch­ing as far as Va­len­cia on Wednesday.

All traf­fic leav­ing the town will now have to pass along Rail­way Road, which runs par­al­lel to the East­ern Main Road, at ex­it at the turn off near Guaico Tamana Road.

All traf­fic head­ing east will use the East­ern Main Road (EMR), which has been con­vert­ed to one-way traf­fic up to Wal­len­valle.

The changes are ef­fec­tive be­tween the peak hours of 6 am to 9 am and again be­tween 2 pm and 6 pm.

Mo­torists are al­so pro­hib­it­ed from turn­ing left on­to Ajim Baksh Street from the EMR and can­not turn left on­to Brier­ley Street, which al­so runs par­al­lel to the EMR, from Pic­ton Road.

Brier­ley Street, which be­gins off the To­co Main Road, will fa­cil­i­tate one-way traf­fic head­ing west dur­ing the peak hours. The traf­fic flow on sev­er­al oth­er streets was al­so ad­just­ed.

In at least two in­stances, mo­torists who did not ob­serve the no en­try signs post­ed at Rail­way Road, which be­gins at the Pic­ton Road in­ter­sec­tion, avoid­ed head on col­li­sions, eye­wit­ness­es said.

Mo­torists said it took them more than an hour to reach the end of Rail­way Road as the plan went in­to ef­fect.

Dri­vers as well as res­i­dents are call­ing on au­thor­i­ties to re­think the new traf­fic plan.

Res­i­dents said some maxi taxi dri­vers were seen over­tak­ing on Rail­way Road, a nar­row road­way.

Be­cause of the in­creased traf­fic, res­i­dents liv­ing off side streets along Rail­way Road com­plained that they had to wait for in­or­di­nate pe­ri­ods to leave their homes.

Ter­ry Ron­don, the chair­man of the San­gre Grande Re­gion­al Cor­po­ra­tion, said he too was caught in al­most 45 min­utes traf­fic.

He said the new plan was not work­ing and called on au­thor­i­ties to re­vert to the pre­vi­ous traf­fic arrange­ments.

Ron­don said he in­tend­ed to write to the Traf­fic Man­age­ment Di­vi­sion as the new plan was not in the in­ter­est of the trav­el­ling pub­lic and mo­torists.

“I was part of the chaos trav­el­ling in­to San­gre Grande this morn­ing and I pub­licly apol­o­gise for the in­con­ve­nience this morn­ing,” Ron­don said.

Taxi dri­ver Andy Be­har­ry said the new plan was a fail­ure.

Busi­ness­woman Rox­anne Baksh asked if any con­sid­er­a­tion had been giv­en to the safe­ty of school chil­dren who used these nar­row roads on a dai­ly ba­sis. She claimed that those re­spon­si­ble for the new arrange­ment did not re­side in San­gre Grande.

In re­sponse, Min­is­ter of Works and Trans­port Ro­han Sinanan said he had not re­ceiv­ing any re­port from the Traf­fic Man­age­ment Branch about the new traf­fic plan in San­gre Grande.

He said he was aware that new traf­fic plan had been Gazetted since 2012 and the po­lice de­cid­ed to im­ple­ment­ed the plan on Wednes­day.

- by Ralph Banwarie

Category: