City seeks to qualify for Champions League quarters away to Monaco

Date: 
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:45

Manchester City's manager Pep Guardiola believes that attack may be the best form of defence as Manchester City head to Monaco tonight.

City are carrying a 5-3 advantage into the second leg of the Champions League last-16 tie after coming through a thriling clash last month.

Both teams are attack-minded and Guardiola has warned that any attempts to just sit on the lead will end in defeat.

Monaco have scored 123 goals in all competitions this season and have lost just once in their past 17 games – the first leg at the Etihad Stadium.

Guardiola said: "Taking the ball and attacking as much as possible is the only way I know to beat this type of team.

"If one team scores 124 goals (actually 123) and you are thinking about only defending for 90 minutes because we won one game 5-3, you kill yourself.
He said: "I think the two teams will attack and we can expect a lot of goals.

"We know we have to score at least two more but I think the individual quality of the City players is so dangerous they can score at any moment. So, to qualify I think we will need to score at least three goals."

City’s defence has come in for a lot of criticism this season, and despite keeping seven clean sheets in their past 10 games, not many expect them to improve that statistic tonight.

Atletico Madrid and Bayer 04 Leverkusen will clash in the other game to determine the last 8 in the tournament.

Atletico won 4-2 away to Leverkusen two weeks ago.

SOURCE: http://www.dailystar.co.uk

Category: