CoP has rush hour traf­fic plan

Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er Gary Grif­fith says the po­lice will con­tin­ue to mon­i­tor ve­hic­u­lar traf­fic as the floods slow­ly re­cede. He as­sured that traf­fic arrange­ments were put in place so that by 3 pm to­day, when the traf­fic from north to south picks up again, there will be no grid­locks.

"We plan to clear both the north and south­bound car­riage­ways to­tal­ly for the flow of traf­fic by 3 pm," he said.

He de­nied that the flood­ing caused a bot­tle­neck ear­li­er to­day.

"This morn­ing every­thing is run­ning smooth­ly. It was one of the clear­est days for traf­fic," he said.

Grif­fith al­so dis­put­ed re­ports that peo­ple had stayed away from the cap­i­tal city, not­ing "Be­tween 4 am to 6 am there was four times the num­ber of ve­hi­cles on the roads than usu­al.

"It seems that peo­ple who had work to do in Port-of-Spain came out ear­li­er than nor­mal so peo­ple were not caught in the usu­al grid­lock from 6 am to 8 am. Many peo­ple came out ear­li­er so they were able to beat the traf­fic which flowed smooth­ly along the Beetham and the Churchill Roo­sevelt high­ways," Grif­fith ex­plained.

He said the teams from the Min­istry of Works were al­so try­ing to fa­cil­i­tate the run-off of the re­main­ing floods.

How­ev­er, in the event the south­bound car­riage­way is still flood­ed by af­ter­noon, Grif­fith says he had a traf­fic plan in place to pre­vent any grid­lock.

"We plan to al­low SU­Vs and trucks a free flow on the south­bound lane of the Uri­ah But­ler High­way and all light ve­hi­cles will have a slight shift on the north­bound lane be­fore they get back on the south­bound lane just af­ter the Over­pass," Grif­fith re­vealed.

He not­ed that ma­jor roads in St He­le­na and Green­vale were still im­pass­able.

"We have a lot of de­bris on the streets and silt which is block­ing the road. Teams are at this time wash­ing down roads and clear­ing any block­ages," Grif­fith added.

He al­so urged the pub­lic not to be both­ered by the few ru­mour mon­gers who were spread­ing the fake news to alarm the coun­try.

"I have been get­ting hourly re­ports from the Op­er­a­tion Com­mand Cen­tre with up­dat­ed in­for­ma­tion from every po­lice sta­tion, in­clud­ing all the hard-hit ar­eas in the west­ern, north­ern and south-west­ern ar­eas and there has not been any of­fi­cial re­port of loot­ing. We have had no re­ports of fa­tal­i­ties and no re­ports of drown­ings or miss­ing peo­ple. These ru­mours are be­ing spread by a few peo­ple who are try­ing to make them­selves im­por­tant and we know who they are," he said.

Source TT Guardian:

Favourite count: 
Favourite count ids: