Twelve families from Cedros and Guayaguayare who lost their homes because of massive coastal erosion are still waiting for housing accommodation.
In an interview yesterday, Councillor for Cedros Shankar Teelucksingh said eight families who have evacuated their homes were asked to go to the Ministry of Housing in Port-of-Spain tomorrow to find out whether they will be given temporary accommodation at the HDC's Lakeview Housing scheme in Point Fortin.
Teelucksingh said the families were finding it difficult to mobilize transport, so the Siparia Regional Corporation hired a maxi taxi to take the affected residents to the HDC. He called on Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley to bring in all state agencies at a constituency office in Cedros so that residents can access help with less hassle.
Teelucksingh also said the Land Settlement Agency has not yet discussed permanent settlement of the affected families, two of whom lost their homes which caved into a precipice near the seaside last week Monday.
Since the calamity, Teelucksingh said corporate T&T as well as the Penal/Debe Regional Corporation, Toco/Sangre Grande Regional Corporation, and the Couva/Talparo/Tabaquite Regional Corporation provided assistance. He also said two private land owners from Ramdhanie Development and Perseverance Estate Development were willing to discuss relocation with the LSA.
Meanwhile, Anthony Gunness, whose home went down the 1,000 feet precipice, said they were eager to get the relocation process going.
"Right now nobody cannot sleep. Two families are in the community centre. Some of us staying by relatives but every night we just walking the road, praying that nothing else happens," Gunness said.
He called on Housing Minister Randall Mitchell to speed up the process. At Guayaguayare, no arrangements have been made to house four families who evacuated their homes because of coastal erosion. MP Rushton Paray called on the Government to provide emergency relief.
Source: www.guardian.co.tt (Radhica Sookraj)