Govt announces $6.5 million cutback on Chutney Soca and International Soca Monarch competitions

Date: 
Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 20:00

The Government has announced that it is cutting back on the sponsorship of the National Chutney Soca Monarch and the International Soca Monarch competitions. The Government will spend $6.5 million dollars less on the two competitions combined.

Minister of Communications, Maxie Cuffie told today's post-Cabinet media conference that the Government will spend $2.9 million on the National Chutney Soca Monarch competition, which is $1.9 million less that last year's sum of $4.8 million.

He says the Government will spend $3.5 million on the International Soca Monarch competition, roughly $6.5 million less than the $8.09 million it spent last year.

"Those reductions are in keeping with the state of the economy," the Minister said.

"It's really in keeping with what we can afford although recognising the importance of these festivals," he added.

The Minister said the organisers of both compeitions have already been told of the cutbacks.

 

all state agencies are now operating under a different economic paradigm. the ncc, ministry of culture various ministries are all operating under different economic conditions.