Undercover police officers who have been dispatched to “every corner” of T&T to monitor illegal activities such as prostitution and human trafficking, will now focus their attention on the Sex Island event being promoted by a foreign company for Down the Islands this weekend.
This was disclosed by the Commissioner of Police (CoP) Gary Griffith on CNC3’s The Morning Brew Tuesday, as he discussed a New York Post article that identified T&T as its new location for the infamous “Sex Island” all-inclusive party.
The party, according to the article, will offer prostitutes, drugs and food and drink to its clientele and tickets are being advertised for US$4,500.
Noting that such activity was illegal, Griffith said that the officers, who had already also been assigned to monitor establishments where minors are sold alcohol and cigarettes, will be on high alert to ensure the event does not go on as planned if the report is true.
“It is not going to happen,” Griffith said.
“I can give the assurance that before the first joint is lighted, before the first lap dance is laid that this will never happen. There’s certainly no way that something so organised and promoted like this can take place in T&T waters.”
National Security Minister Stuart Young also said he intends to block the organisers of a four-day, three-night “sex extravaganza.”
According to NY Post journalist Michael Blaustein, the event is being advertised for this Friday to Sunday (December 17). The promoters are promising 50 guests two prostitutes each, drugs and unlimited food and drinks, with most of the women coming from Colombia, Brazil, Puerto Rico, American, Canada and other South American countries.
The event also hit the British new media Tuesday, with the Online Mail reporting that the organisers had announced that a 16-year-old boy from New York had won a free ticket to the event and was travelling to T&T to attend after getting his father’s blessing.
Reporter: Rhondor Dowlat