Health Ministry: All protocols were followed by Port-of-Spain Hospital staff

Friday, June 9, 2017 - 11:00

The Ministry of Health says that all protocols were followed by the staff of the Port-of-Spain General Hospital in the investigations surrounding the death of Christopher Phillip on the grounds of the hospital. 

The Ministry is now calling for family members to come forward and identify the body to ensure that the autopsy can take place.

The following is a statement by the Ministry of Health.

"The Honourable Terrence Deyalsingh, Minister of Health, responded to a question posed in Parliament on the death of sixty two (62) year old Christopher Phillip at the Port of Spain General Hospital.

Mr Phillip was brought to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department of the Port of Spain General Hospital on Tuesday 6th June, 2017 at 10:09 am via the Global Medical Response of Trinidad and Tobago Limited.

The staff of the North West Regional Health Authority treated Mr Phillip on the same morning that he arrived.

In the afternoon of Tuesday 6th June, against the advice of the medical staff, Mr Phillip left the A&E department for a second time. Attempts to find him proved futile.

On Wednesday 7th June, at 5:40 am, the MTS security personnel noticed an elderly man lying on the grass of the hospital compound behind the clinic vehicle.

The person was unresponsive. At 6:10 am the death was confirmed.

Minister Deyalsingh reminded the Parliament that Ministry officials cannot detain and treat someone against their will.

Minister Deyalsingh also advised the Parliament that: 

 Mr Phillip disappeared on his own volition
 All protocols were followed and Mr Phillip received the best treatment from the staff of the Regional Health Authority

Minister Deyalsingh lamented that, unfortunately, the Authority has no knowledge of what happened to Mr Phillip between the afternoon of Tuesday 6th June, when he left the A&E Department and Wednesday 7th June at 5:45 am when his body was found.

All information on the patient’s record indicated that there was no next of kin.

The Medical Social Worker is liaising with the Besson Street Police Station to determine if they can locate any relatives at the address provided by Mr Phillip.

No autopsy can be performed until positive identification can be made on the body.

At that point the exact cause of death will be determined.

The relatives of Mr Phillip are thereby urged to come forward."