Less than 24 hours after the Special Operations Response Team(SORT) issued a confidential report indicating that prisons officers were the target of death threats, SORT officers intercepted a "hitman" on his way to allegedly kill a first division prisons officer in East Trinidad on Wednesday night
Senior sources close to the operation told Guardian Media that they got a tip-off that the "hitman" was on his way to assassinate the prisons officer and intercepted the suspect in a stolen vehicle near Oropune Gardens, Piarco.
The suspect, who is also wanted for a recent murder in Central Trinidad, sources say was on his way to pick up another accomplice and firearms before heading to the prisons officer home.
SORT sources confirmed that they had issued a report which pointed to a plot to kill five prisons officers on April 1st.
Following those revelations, the Minister of National Security Stuart Young had issued a release stating that the necessary action will be taken against those planning such attacks.
Young said the threats against prisons officers were unacceptable and would be addressed. "Anyone found threatening any officer in any of the services under national security will be dealt with by the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service as appropriate. Such actions will not be tolerated and any perpetrators will face the full brunt of the law."
Young indicated that he had been in touch with Acting Commissioner of Prisons Dane Clarke and Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith about the troubling SORT report.
Young assured that every effort will be made to neutralize the threat, saying, "Threats of violence to any prison officer or any officer attached to any of the services under the Ministry of National Security will not be tolerated.
I have asked that an inter-agency approach be deployed with this incident.
This is being treated as a priority and resources are being deployed to deal with the threat."