Kidnap accused gets bail

Police Constable Ian Dwarika who was among four people charged with the kidnapping of businesswoman Natalie Pollonais has been granted bail.

Dwarika, 44, who was last attached to the La Romain Police Post, was placed on $300,000 bail by San Fernando Magistrate Kerianne Byer.

His attorney Shiva Boodoo made an application for bail on the grounds that Dwarika did not have a police record, and he had a clean history.

He said Dwarika was charged under the Anti-kidnapping Act and not the Anti-Gang Act, which meant that his charge was a bailable offence and that he was entitled to bail.

Court Prosecutor Sgt Jhilmit did not object to bail.

Magistrate Byer then placed Dwarika on $300,000 bail to be approved by the Clerk of the Peace. Dwarika was told that he has to report to the San Fernando Police Station every day between 6 am to 6 pm.

He was told that he must have no contact with Pollonais either directly or indirectly, not even though social media.

He was also asked to surrender his passport. However, Boodoo said Dwarika had two expired passports which were already surrendered to the police.

Crim­i­nal at­tor­ney Carl Mat­tis had made a plead for bail on Euin's behalf during his last court appearance.

Matthis said Eu­in is the fa­ther of a one-year-old child and has been a po­lice of­fi­cer for the past four years.

He said Eu­in had no pre­vi­ous crim­i­nal con­vic­tions or pend­ing mat­ters be­fore the court. He added that Eu­in’s pass­port had ex­pired.

However, the bail was not granted on the last occasion.

The attorney who represented the third accused, Shain Steven, 37, a building contractor, of Inverness Road, Princes Town, was not present. The matter was done via video conferencing. 

The fourth accused, Gregory James, also known as Roger Duncan was unrepresented when he appeared in court yesterday. James, of La Brea who works as a welder, said he applied for a legal aid attorney but was not yet assigned legal representation.

All of the accused, except Dwarika, was remanded into custody to reappear in court on January 2.

Pollonais, 45, of Palmiste was kidnapped on September 6, 2018, shortly after leaving the C3 Centre, San Fernando.

A ransom was subsequently made to her family by the kidnappers. Police Commissioner Gary Griffith who got a tip-off from a citizen, launched a massive intelligence-driven operation.

Four days later, Pollonais was extracted from her captors in a white Nissan AD Wagon which was proceeding along the Churchill Roosevelt Highway near the Courts Mega Store on September 10, 2018.

- by Radhica De Silva

Favourite count: 
Favourite count ids: