Officials from the North Central Regional Health Authority have confirmed that one man died due to complications of leptospirosis at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope earlier this week.
Samir Khan, 37, of New Street, Caroni, died at the hospital on Tuesday. He was admitted to the hospital 10 days earlier after displaying symptoms of the disease. Khan is believed to have contracted the bacterial disease during the recent flooding in his area.
Guardian Media was also informed of the death of a Cunupia man who was also suffering symptoms associated with leptospirosis on November 11.
NCRHA CEO Davlin Thomas confirmed there had been a death at the hospital related to leptospirosis earlier this week but was not able to give further details.
Thomas said while the NCRHA was also looking into two deaths, only one has been directly confirmed to be related to the areas affected by flooding.
Two weeks ago, Ministry of Health officials, Acting Primary Medical Officer Dr Brian Amour and County Medical Officer Dr Adelle-Lisa Chang On confirmed that there were three suspected cases of the leptospirosis being assessed following the massive flooding across the country.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease which affects both humans and animals. It is caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira and is most commonly spread by rats and cattle. It can cause a wide range of symptoms for humans, which may be mistaken for other ailments. Some infected persons, however, may have no symptoms at all.
Some of these symptoms include:
-Jaundice (yellow skin and eyes)
If left untreated, Leptospirosis can have deadly consequences.
It can cause kidney damage, meningitis, liver failure, and respiratory distress.
- by Peter Christopher.