New polymer certificates are NOT for tourist, business US visas

Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi has reinforced that not all person applying for visas to the United States are required to have the new polymer certificates of birth, marriage and death.

The AG pointed to the wording of the US Embassy's statement, stating that the new provisions are for immigrant visas.

Immigrant visas are for persons seeking to relocate and live in the United States.

However, persons seeking to visit the US on vacation or for business require non-immigrant visas.

The AG said that the Ministry of Legal Affairs is ready and prepared for persons who are seeking new certificates.

He said the ministry provides same-day certificates and said persons can also apply online.

Those applying online must, however, visit the ministry to make the payments. 

The AG made the clarification in response to a question in the Senate on Tuesday.

The question, raised by Leader of Opposition Business, Wade Mark, sought to understand whether the Ministry of Legal Affairs was prepared for the increase in persons seeking new polymer certificates, in light of the US Embassy's announcement.

The US Embassy stated on Monday: "Starting February 1, 2019, U.S. Embassy Port of Spain will require the new green polymer, computer-generated civil documents issued by the Registrar General. These include Trinidad and Tobago birth certificates, marriage certificates, and death certificates. All previous versions of these civil documents will no longer be accepted. Please ensure that you have your updated documents prior to your scheduled immigrant visa interview in order to avoid any delays in visa processing."


Favourite count: 
Favourite count ids: