No antidote but doctors praised in battle to save 4-year-old girl stung by scorpion

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 20:00

The dedication of medical staff at the Mount Hope hospital, may have saved the life of a child who was stung by a scorpion on Tuesday, with no antidote in the country.

Four-year-old Nicola Dyer spent the night at the Intensive Care Unit of the Mount Hope hospital in a critical condition as doctors administered a combination of medication while fighting to save her life.

The child was stung on three parts of her face, including just above her eye, as she played with another relative on a bed in her family's Maraval home, around 2pm Tuesday.

Her mother, Annie Arietas told CNC3 they had left a place in Belmont where they were staying yesterday because of a drop in electricity, and went to her Maraval home.

She says the house is not regularly occupied and is in an area surrounded by bush. 

She believes the scorpion came through the roof of the building and fell on the bed.

Another relative heard the girl screaming but when they rushed into the bedroom, the child was unable to say what had happened.

It was only when they removed the bedsheet, they saw the scorpion on the bed.

Arietas says they took the child to a health centre and she was later transported by ambulance to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital, where doctors were able to stabilise her. 

She was then transferred to the Mount Hope hospital.

Arietas says Nicola was almost lifeless when she arrived at the Intensive Care Unit but says several doctors - including one who was on vacation - came out and worked throughout the night, fighting to save the child's life.

"They came and they gave us the bad news at first (that there is no antidote) but then they really all came together and did their best for her," Arietas said.

She said doctors were calling around to the different hospitals for the antidote, all to no avail. 

Speaking to CNC3 around 1pm today, Arietas confirmed that her daughter is now out of ICU, having responded well to the combination of medication given to her.

She says the child now appears as though nothing ever happened, but will be kept another night before doctors make a decision on when she can be discharged.