Over 21,000 tickets issued for driving above speed limit

Police have issued over 21,000 tickets to persons driving above the speed limit this year and 1,246 persons have been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol.

ASP (Ag.) Kissoon Badloo of the Police Traffic and Highway Patrol Branch gave this update today:

"A pleasant good morning to all. I am here to provide a status update on road safety for the year 2018 thus far. As of today’s date, a total of 49 persons have lost their lives in 47 road traffic accidents on the nation’s roads for 2018, compared to 51 deaths from 48 road traffic accidents for the same period last year.

Although this figure indicates a 4% decrease in road traffic deaths, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) continues to appeal to all road users to exercise greater care, alertness and responsibility when using the roadways, as we believe many of these deaths could have been prevented.

Over the weekend in Tobago, a 17-year-old was fatally hit while walking along the roadway by a 4X4 vehicle, driven by a 36-year-old man.

The driver failed a breathalyser test with a reading of 69 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 milliliters of breath - 34 microgrammes in excess of the legal limit.

The suspect was immediately arrested and charged.  Also recently, another driver was disqualified from driving for 1 year and ordered to pay a fine of $10,000 by Magistrate Siumongal Ramsaran in the Couva Magistrate’s Court, having been arrested and charged on a 2nd Offence for Driving Under the Influence, with a breathalyser reading of 114 microgrammes - 79 microgrammes over the legal limit of 35 microgrammes.

For this year the TTPS has arrested and charged 1,246 drivers for Driving Under the Influence offences. Alcohol impaired drivers pose a serious risk to all road users, as alcohol negatively impacts a driver’s physical and mental abilities. We appeal to drivers to always designate a driver or use taxi services if they have consumed alcohol.

The TTPS also wishes to remind motorists to ensure that the vehicle they are driving complies with the vehicle inspection laws. Section 27 (1) of the Motor Vehicle and Road Traffic Regulations provides that a registered owner of a public service motor vehicle, rental car, goods vehicle, omnibus, tractor or trailer shall produce it for inspection by a Transport Officer, annually and a registered owner of a private motor vehicle or motorcycle, where such motor vehicle or motorcycle is five years old or more, shall produce it for inspection by an examiner biennially, at such premises designated for that purpose as the Licensing Authority may direct. Section 27 (11) states that a registered owner of a private motor vehicle or motorcycle, public service motor vehicle, rental car, goods vehicle, omnibus or trailer who fails to produce the vehicle for inspection or drives the vehicle without obtaining an inspection sticker and certificate in accordance with these Regulations commits an offence and is liable, on summary conviction, to a fine of five thousand dollars.

Members of the public are asked to like and follow the TTPS via our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages for the latest news and information on matters of interest to the general public.

We are therefore advising motorists who had their vehicles inspected, but did not receive vehicle inspection stickers, to have the inspection certificate for the vehicle available for production upon the request of any Transport or Police Officer, as evidence of compliance.

For this year 21,052 tickets have been issued to motorists for exceeding roadway speed limits of which 36% (7,642) were issued by the Highway Patrol and the other 64% (13,409) issued by Divisional Traffic Speed Teams enforcing along the main roads.

ROAD SAFETY TIPS for Drivers: Since rainy season is upon us the TTPS reminds motorists to ensure that the brakes, windshield wipers, tyres and lights in their vehicles are in proper working condition. We also wish to urge road users to obey the various speed limits, as motorists are at increased risk of hydroplaning during this season. Again, we implore all road users to remember to practice courtesy, cooperation and consideration on the roads."

Category: