Penal family living in fear

Five days af­ter a mys­te­ri­ous shoot­er killed pen­sion­er Har­ri­lal Ja­groop and crit­i­cal­ly wound­ed his daugh­ter, a Pe­nal fam­i­ly con­tin­ues to live in fear.

The killer left Ja­groop’s one-year-old child cry­ing in the blood-spat­tered house be­fore es­cap­ing.


How­ev­er, video footage gath­ered from the scene has giv­en po­lice clues as to the iden­ti­ty of the killer.

Dur­ing an in­ter­view, Tues­day, Ja­groop’s son Dave Sura­jbal­ly said they were liv­ing in fear since the hor­ri­ble or­deal oc­curred on Eman­ci­pa­tion Day.

“We al­ready lost one and we pray­ing not to lose any­more. We are very wor­ried. My fa­ther died a hor­ri­ble death and what we are go­ing through is not easy,” Sura­jbal­ly said dur­ing an in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia.

He added that the ba­by, who sur­vived the or­deal is now in the care of his grand­moth­er Mary Kuars­ingh.

“We are try­ing to be strong. We want the po­lice to li­aise with us and let us know what is go­ing on,” Sura­jbal­ly added. He not­ed that his in­jured sis­ter Joyce, 21, re­mains ward­ed in a crit­i­cal con­di­tion at the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal. The bul­let re­mains lodged in her head and doc­tors have al­ready done surg­eries to take out bone frag­ments from her head.

Sura­jbal­ly said Joyce had been in a tu­mul­tuous re­la­tion­ship, which end­ed a few months ago but he had no idea if this had any bear­ing to the shoot­ing.

He said the jilt­ed lover came sev­er­al times to rec­on­cile but Joyce re­fused. Sura­jbal­ly said he did not know if this had any­thing to do with the shoot­ing. He not­ed that af­ter the shoot­ing the man came to vis­it Joyce at the hos­pi­tal but since then he nev­er re­turned to the fam­i­ly.

“My fa­ther come and dead now and he did not call us or vis­it. We are not say­ing he is in­volved. We do not know what hap­pened,” Sura­jbal­ly added.

On the day of the shoot­ing both Ja­groop and Joyce were at home at Batchiya Trace, Pe­nal when the killer opened fire on them. They lived alone. Around 8 pm, neigh­bours heard the ba­by cry­ing and found the fa­ther and daugh­ter un­con­scious. They were rushed to the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal where they un­der­went emer­gency surgery. Ja­groop died last Sat­ur­day.

His fu­ner­al is ex­pect­ed to take place at 9 am at the fam­i­ly’s Hal­l­i­day Trace, Pe­nal Rock Road home. The body will then be tak­en to the house in Batchiya be­fore be­ing tak­en for cre­ma­tion at the Mos­qui­to Creek.

Po­lice said they are work­ing on sev­er­al leads and will make an ar­rest short­ly. Re­gion Three Homi­cide Bu­reau of­fi­cers are con­tin­u­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tions.


Favourite count: 
Favourite count ids: