Police say they have quelled the disturbances in East Port-of-Spain this morning.
A statement issued by the Police Service today states that police and army personnel went into action from 6 am today, in East Port-of-Spain, to quell disturbances among residents and remove debris that had been strewn across several streets, following a police-involved shooting incident at around 3:45 am on Monday 19th February, 2018.
It says that members of the Inter-Agency Task Force attempted to execute a search warrant for firearms and ammunition on premises located at Calvary Hill, when they were fired upon by the occupant of the house.
There was a return of gunfire and the suspect was struck.
The assailant, identified as Akile ‘Christmas’ James, 25, was taken to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 4:20 am.
A Glock 45 pistol and seven rounds of ammunition were recovered at the scene.
The statement says that a joint contingent, using heavy equipment, had to clear several streets of debris including Observatory; Bath; Oxford; Quarry, Basilon, Charlotte and Piccadilly.
There remains a police-army presence in these areas.
The police have also increased patrols along the Lady Young Road, Morvant and the Beetham Highway. Snr. Supt. (Ag.) Floris Hodge-Griffith, Head of the Port of Spain Division, said the events were recorded and charges will be laid against any individual who breached the law.
She assured that normalcy had been fully restored to East Port of Spain and that the situation had been brought under complete control.