With Machel Montano and Superblue winning the 2018 Road March race, here are some facts about the Road March that might interest you.
1. The late Lord Kitchener has the most Road March titles - 11. Superblue is now second with 10 and Machel Montano 3rd with 9.
2. Only four women have ever won the Road March - Calypso Rose in 1977 (Give More Tempo) & 1978 (Come Leh We Jam), Sanelle Dempster in 1999 (River), Fay-Ann Lyons-Alvarez in 2003 (Display), 2008 (Get On) & 2009 (Meet Superblue), and Patrice Roberts in 2006 (Band of the Year which was done together with Machel Montano).
3. The Road March was won by two bands, instead of individuals or duets, on two occasions - The Obernkirchen Children's Choir in 1955 with "The Happy Wanderer" and Ultimate Rejects with "Full Extreme" led by MX Prime in 2017.
4. There has only ever been one tie for Road March - 2000 Superblue "Pump Up" & Iwer George "Carnival Come Back Again".
5. The Road March was won by duets on only three occasions - 2006 by Machel Montano and Patrice Roberts "Band of the Year", 2010 by JW & Blaze "Palance" & 2018 by Machel Montano & Superblue "Soca Kingdom".
6. There were two Road March competitions and two Road March winners in 1953 Vivian Comma "Madeline Oye" & Spit Fire "Bow Wow Wow" and in 1957 Lord Christo "Chicken Chest" & Nap Hepburn "Doctor Nelson".
7. Lion holds the record for most consecutive wins, winning four straight Road March titles in 1935, 1936, 1937 & 1938.
8. For 14 years, between 1963 and 1976, there were only two Road March winners - Kitchener (10) and Sparrow (4).
9. The song played the most ever to win Road March was Full Extreme with 556 plays followed by Palance with 417.
10. There were no official Road March titles between 1942 and 1945 because World War II meant no official Carnival.