Southex CEO: Chutney Soca Monarch $1 million short of target

Date: 
Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 16:30

Southex CEO, George Singh, says contrary to popular opinion, the Chutney Soca Monarch is not a money-making enterprise and has not made a profit in four years.

Singh says last year the Nationa Lotteries Control Board (NLCB) contributed $1.5 million to the competition but this year the allocation is less than half of that.

With the finals set for January 27th, 2018, Singh says he is around $1 million short of the intended budget to put on a good show.

There are no cash sponsors on board other than the NLCB at this time.

He says while they will try to get sponsors, the shortfall in revenue has priced them out of using Skinner Park, prize monies would have to be scaled back and patrons will have to pay a fee to witness the event.

He says these continuous cuts in allocation is a disservice to a competition that has done a lot for Indian and national culture.

Category: