Although Samuel Sahadeo was less than 50 metres away from his home, he could do little as it went up in flames yesterday.
But residents of Tarouba Road said the fire was no accident as one of Sahadeo’s neighbours was seen walking out of the house when smoke began to rise.
Sahadeo, a handyman, said he was at the neighbour’s home attending to his plants around 2 pm.
He said as he walked to the side of the house to drink from a pipe, he saw smoke.
“I said that can’t be no rubbish burning. As I came outside, the neighbours told me they saw the man came looking for me with a blade. He (suspect) said I went in by him to thief.
But I don’t thief, look at things I have. I does pass and pick up this and that. I have about $5000 in scrap iron there and we were going to sell. We needed transport over the two holidays,” Sahadeo said.
As far as Sahadeo knew, he and the suspect had a neighbourly relationship so it was shocking what happened. He said that up to Sunday, he went to the suspect’s home with food, looking for pepper sauce.
“Me and him does deal good. He have no reason to spite me like that, in that form.”
The entire wooden and concrete structure was gutted. Samuel said the house belonged to his neighbour and he was the caretaker.
It had no electricity and he does not use candles. He said he does not cook and survives on parlour food.
Police was interviewing witnesses up to late yesterday afternoon.
Reporter: Kevon Felmine