Woman who lost home in fire gives birth, still in need of help

Date: 
Monday, November 4, 2019 - 14:30

A week af­ter fire de­stroyed their apart­ment leav­ing them home­less, 25-year-old Lau­ren Mo­hammed gave birth to a healthy ba­by girl via cae­sar­i­an sec­tion.

 

Mo­hammed and her fam­i­ly— two in­fant sons, her hus­band, two young broth­ers and her moth­er— were stay­ing in an aban­don build­ing in Debe not far from where their apart­ment was de­stroyed at Ghan­di Vil­lage.

As faith would have it, hours af­ter mov­ing in­to an apart­ment at La Ro­maine on Sat­ur­day, Mo­hammed’s wa­ter bag burst and she un­der­went an emer­gency C-Sec­tion at the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal where she was still ward­ed up to late yes­ter­day.

Mo­hammed’s moth­er Vashti Samoocha­ran was thank­ful that her daugh­ter and grand­daugh­ter will have some­where warm, safe and clean to re­side when they are dis­charged from the hos­pi­tal.

“God is good. Every­thing work out,” said Samoocha­ran, 44.

 

How­ev­er, the moth­er, a do­mes­tic work­er, is still strug­gling to put food on the ta­ble and pro­vide for her fam­i­ly.

Mo­hammed’s hus­band was re­cent­ly di­ag­nosed with a se­vere skin dis­ease which caus­es painful blis­ters to break out on his hands and feet.

“Right now we still eat­ing bread. We got a fire crack­er but we still strug­gling,” lament­ed Samoocha­ran.

Every­thing they owned, in­clud­ing their clothes and all the ba­by sup­plies and cloth­ing, were de­stroyed in the fire.

Mo­hammed’s two sons ages one and two are not in school.

How­ev­er, Samoocha­ran’s two sons, ages five and 11 have not been able to at­tend school since the fire be­cause their school sup­plies and uni­form were burnt.

Cou­pled with that, they had nowhere to live.

Of­fi­cials of the Min­istry of So­cial De­vel­op­ment and Fam­i­ly Ser­vices are in touch with the fam­i­ly with re­gards to its rental as­sis­tance pro­gramme grant. They were among 14 vic­tims who were left home­less af­ter a fire de­stroyed three apart­ments on Oc­to­ber 23.

The cause of the fire is still un­known.

Any­one will­ing to as­sist the fam­i­ly can con­tact them at 497-8212 or 764-5379.

Reporter: Sascha wILSON

Tags: 
Category: