In the coming days, law enforcement agencies will launch a new intelligence-driven operation aimed at taking down criminal elements and provide safety to law-abiding citizens.
The announcement was made by National Security Minister Stuart Young at his Port-of-Spain office, as he warned citizens that such a "push back" against criminals will result in inconvenience for citizens in certain areas across the country.
His comment came after a rash of shooting and murders in the Port-of-Spain district, including Sea Lots and Laventille and resurgence of killings among Rasta City and Muslim gangs.
Young met with heads of security from various agencies on Wednesday where they discussed the utilisation of all the State's resources to beat the criminals into submission.
"I want to assure the public that we are not sitting idly by. Intelligence has been gathered for a number of months for the preparation of certain operations. When these operations are launched there is going to be a level of inconvenience unfortunately to the law-abiding citizens in particular areas."
Such inconvenience, Young said would not involve a limited state of emergency in crime hot spot areas but will see "increased intelligence-driven operations".
A tough-talking Young said he was not afraid of anyone nor would he be intimidated in rolling out this operation.
He said, unfortunately, a small group of criminals have been determined to conduct illegal activities, pointing out that in the last few days there has been an increase in crime and murders which the Government has expressed concern about.
- by Shaliza Hassanali.
Photo caption: Police officers during a routine roadblock exercise in the Valencia district last year. - Ralph Banwarie