Works and Transport Minister, Rohan Sinanan, has revealed that at least 16 people may have been caught in the web of an ongoing police probe, into possible fraud at the Licensing Office.
The minister says the three year project to modernise and computerise the day-to-day operations at Licensing, has made it impossible for irregularities to remain hidden.
He confirms that they have been cooperating with police, and he expects that as the initiative continues, more illegal behaviour will be uncovered.
Education Minister Anthony Garcia says there is nothing sinister regarding the as yet-unannounced 2019 CAPE Scholarship results.
Seeking to reassure students and their parents, Garcia said, “We have to make sure we are very careful in deciding.”
“The performance of our students has been very good, excellent in fact. And therefore we have to make sure that in making these decisions we give everybody an equal chance.”
Fears have been expressed that Government may be attempting to manipulate the national scholarship results, and may even wait until just before the local government elections to release them.
The alarm has been raised by the Spiritual Leader of the Satya Anand Ashram of Bliss and Truth, Pundit Satyanand Maharaj.
In a statement issued today, Pundit Maharaj says parents have been coming to him, sharing concerns that the Government “is ‘doctoring’ the scholarships to reflect not merit but ethnic and political qualifications”.
Caroni Central MP Dr Bhoe Tewarie made a passionate plea for Government to pay the country’s ageing cane farmers who he claimed are owed millions of dollars before they die one-by-one.
The committee was told that $5 million was allocated in the 2019 budget for the farmers of which $1.7 million had been spent.
Cabinet has agreed to select Patriotic Energies and Technologies Company Ltd (PETCL),- a company wholly owned by the Oilfield Workers Trade Union (OWTU) as the preferred bidder for the sale of Petrotrin's refinery.
The announcement was made by Finance Minister Colm Imbert in Parliament.
This week's regular Cabinet meeting with take place in Tobago on Friday.
A statement by the Office of the Prime Minister says the Cabinet will meet at the Magdalena Grand Hotel tomorrow.
It says details regarding the Post-Cabinet Media Conference will be sent in a subsequent notice
Several government ministers were due in Tobago this weekend as the PNM's National Convention is taking place in Tobago on Sunday.
Cabinet will meet in a one day retreat at the Diplomatic Centre in St Anns on Friday.
According to a statement issued by the Office of the Prime Minister during the exercise, various ministers will review the development programme, inter-ministerial cooperation activities and public service responsibilities among other issues. The retreat comes days after Dr Keith Rowley announced a cabinet reshuffle which saw the appointment of Stuart Young as minister of National Security while Edmund Dillon was handed the portfolio of Housing And Urban Development minister.
The Private Schools Association says it stands ready to meet with Education Minister Anthony Garcia and his team to hear what proposal is on the table on the issue of the fee increase which they have requested for students assigned by the government to private schools.
The school year ended last Friday with a virtual stand-off between the Education Ministry and the principals of the private schools, with many of the seven schools not yet in receipt of payments owed to them by the Ministry of Education for the term just ended.
Cabinet is calling on the management of the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) to explain to the public the process that was undertaken to arrive at the decision to dismiss staff.
A statement by the Ministry of Education says that while the Cabinet is aware and understands the need for this move, the UTT must be given the opportunity to fully elaborate on the process that was followed to the public.
The point was also made, that the letters of termination that have already been issued to academic staff members will stand as valid.
Cabinet has approved the spending of close to $8 million by the Port Authority of T&T to get the ports of Port-of-Spain and Scarborough ready for the Galleons Passage.
Port chairman Lyle Alexander told the T&T Guardian yesterday that the Port requested the money to ensure that the pier is ready for when the Galleons Passage arrives.
The vessel inched closer to its final destination yesterday when it arrived in Panama. From Panama the vessel heads to Cuba.