Sergeant David Swanson is pleading with patrons to desist from picking up items that do not belong to them when Mr Killa’s song—Run With It— is being played in Carnival fetes as it could lead to a fight.
Swanson made the comment during an interview on the CNC3 Morning Brew programme.
Within recent times several videos have surfaced on social media showing fete lovers lifting and carrying items that were not theirs when the tagline of the song “pick up something...anything” is being played.
A meeting among Chaguanas Carnival bandleaders and police to iron out crucial issues prior to the festival had to be called off as no officers turned up on Wednesday.
The bandleaders were left disappointed at the Chaguanas Borough Corporation’s Administrative Complex at Cumberbatch Street after they waiting for an hour.
Among the issues the bandleaders wanted to discuss was the process to obtain special permits to use their vehicles on restricted routes.
There are no new procedures for music trucks, being used for Carnival, to get approval from the Licensing Authority, according to Transport Commissioner Basdeo Gosine.
In a telephone interview with Guardian Media on Thursday, Gosine said: “Over the years, we have a long established procedure to deal with that issue and that procedure has not changed since I assumed office.”
According to Section 49 of the Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act:
Videographers, photographers, broadcasters and social media users (including members of the public) who intend to capture any aspect of work of mas use in any form of commercial intent directly or indirectly without proper accreditation for this year’s Carnival can face a hefty fine of $250,000 or a ten-year imprisonment.
This was the warning sent yesterday during a media conference by president of the T&T Copyright Collection Organisation Dr Vijay Ramlal.
Two weeks after the Finance Ministry released $25 million to the National Carnival Commission (NCC) for Carnival 2019, the NCC has requested an additional sum of $73 million.
Culture Minister Nyan Gadsby-Dolly confirmed this in the Senate replying to Opposition queries from UNC Senator Wade Mark.
She said funds are released by the Finance Ministry to the NCC upon request.
She says another request was made for another tranche of money to be released for Carnival celebrations and will certainly be processed as expeditiously as possible.
The Police Service has given notice that persons wishing to enter the areas restricted to vehicular traffic in Port of Spain on Carnival Monday and Tuesday must apply for the relevant permit(s) from the Assistant Commissioner of Police ‘Mobile/Operations’ Traffic and Highway Patrol Branch, Garden Road, Aranguez South, no later than Monday 25th February, 2019.
Applicants seeking permits must submit copies of the following documents:
A party promoter has signalled his intention to sue the State over the actions of a group of fire officers, whom he claims have been attempting to sabotage his events.
In a pre-action protocol letter sent to permanent secretary of the Ministry of National Security Lydia Jacobs, lawyers representing Gregory Cedeno revealed that he is considering filing a lawsuit for harassment and tortious interference following incidents at two Carnival fetes, last month.