court

Young: Plea bargaining law can help nab ‘Mr Big’

Culprits using the proposed Plea Bargaining system will be able to bargain against trial if they provide links to T&T’s “Big Fish” and “Mr Big,” says Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Stuart Young.

Speaking during yesterday’s Parliament debate on the legislation, Young said it can also be used retroactively by those in remand custody who wouldn’t have to wait years behind bars for their matters to be heard.

Two charged with murder of Santa Cruz man

Two men will appear before the Port of Spain 8th Magistrates’ Court, charged with the murder of Anthony Sammy. 

Davis Charles, 30, of Assign Avenue, Bourg Mulatresse, San Juan and Jimall Gibbs, 28, of Thompson Lane, Lower Santa Cruz, were charged with murder after advice was received from the Director
of Public Prosecutions, Roger Gaspard, SC, on Monday 3rd April, 2017. 

Sammy, 38, was killed by gunmen who stormed his Santa Cruz home, on Sunday 15th January, 2017.

FOR MORE TOP STORIES: http://www.cnc3.co.tt

Man in court for 2016 Sangre Grande murder

A second man has appeared in the Sangre Grande Magistrates’ Court, charged with the murder of Donald Javel Pierre, whose remains had to be exhumed from a gravel pit, at Pine Road, Vega de Oropouche, Sangre Grande, one year ago, a statement by the Police Service says.

27-year-old David Boodoo, aka Sours, a farmer of Rampersad Trace, Vega de Oropouche, is now charged alongside Ricardo James, aka Doodie, for the murder of Pierre, who had been reported missing on Friday 20th January, 2016.

$300,000 bail for man accused of beating mother and 1-year-old child

A 29-year-old Point Fortin man accused of attacking his former girlfriend and their one-year-old daughter at Mount St Benedict, last week, has been released on $300,000 bail.

Rayon Stanislaus, an employee of Petrotrin was granted bail after appearing before senior magistrate Indrani Cedeno in the Tunapuna Magistrate's Court yesterday morning.

Stanislaus was charged with the attempted murder of 32-year-old Iyanna Hercules and wounding their daughter with intent to cause her grievous bodily harm.

Two appear in court for murder of WPC Nyasha Joseph

The two accused in the murder of WPC Nyasha Joseph have appeared in the Port of Spain Eighth Court to answer the charges.

Kenneth Browne, 38 and Melissa Browne, 28 appeared before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar.

The case has been postponed to April 18th.

The accused were once married but are now divorced.

WPC Joseph's body was discovered in the Gulf of Paria last week Wednesday.

She had gone missing six days before.

15-year-old charged with J'ouvert morning murder of former soldier

A 15-year-old boy has appeared in the Port-of-Spain 8th Magistrate Court today charged with the Carnival J'ouvert murder of retired soldier, Calvert James.

James, 56, of 23 Gordon Avenue, Mt Lambert, died on Monday 27th February, 2017, from multiple stab wounds.

He was killed during an incident at the corner of Prince and Henry Streets, Port-of-Spain.

Man charged with killing Shannon Banfield back in court

Almost three months after Republic Bank Limited employee Shannon Banfield was murdered, the preliminary inquiry into her killing is yet to commence.

Dale Seecharan yesterday made his fourth appearance in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court since being charged with the crime on December 19 last year.

Yesterday’s hearing was brief as prosecutors are yet to file and serve the witness statements and evidence they plan to use for Seecharan’s preliminary inquiry and eventual trial.

Guyanese court fines T&T fraudster and orders deportation

A Trinidad and Tobago fraudster, Anthony Nestor, has been instructed by a Guyanese court to pay Brandsville Hotel in Guyana, GYD$260,824 (TT$8,400) and also to pay a court fine of GYD$100,000 (TT$3,225), or serve a 36-month prison sentence, after which he will deported.

Magistrate Judy Latchman handed down the ruling today, which was due a few days ago.

The ruling could not proceed then because Nestor reportedly told the court he was Guyanese, and that a birth certificate would be delivered to the court to prove same.

Inspector Alexander back in court

Police Inspector Roger Alexander's assault case has been adjourned to March 27th.

Inspector Alexander appeared before a Port-of-Spain magistrate this morning for a case management hearing.

In January Inspector Alexander was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The charges stem from an alleged altercation which took place in Santa Cruz in July 2016.

A case management hearing is pre trial hearing where attorneys representing both sides meet with the magistrate to talk about how the case will be handled.

 

Two in court on car-theft charges

An Arima mechanic and a Sangre Grande labourer accused of stealing vehicles from the San Fernando district were remanded into custody yesterday to reappear before a magistrate today for bail.

Christopher Ramoutarsingh, 26, and Joel Balcon, 32, who were arrested over the weekend, appeared in the San Fernando Magistrates Court charged with a total of six charges.

They are jointly charged with stealing a $10,000 Nissan B-12 from the car park of the San Fernando General Hospital on November 16, 2016 and a $85,000 Nissan E-24 van from Gulf City Mall car park.

Pages