All sailings of the T&T Express have been cancelled this weekend as a result of the Rough Seas bulletin issued by the Met Office.
The Trinidad & Tobago Inter-Island Transportation Company (TTITC) has issued a statement to remind the public that at this time of the year the sea conditions can impact on the sailing schedule as, from time to time, the wave heights are predicted to be in excess of the acceptable 3 metres for the passenger vessels.
The Met Office says northerly swells are expected to continue for 24 hours and are expected to peak today.
The Met Office is continuing its Rough Seas bulletin in this regard.
The following is the latest bulletin issued by the Met Office.
"Northerly swells have been affecting coastlines of Trinidad and Tobago over the last 24 hours and this swell event is expected to peak today, Friday, 23rd February, 2018.
The swells are forecast to continue affecting coastlines over the next 24 hours.
The Met Office says sea conditions are expected to deteriorate this afternoon as northerly swells are forecast to reach coastlines of Trinidad and Tobago from midday today.
This northerly swell event is likely to affect coastlines for at least 48 hours.
The swells are forecast to reach 3 metres in open waters and above 1.5 metres in sheltered areas.
Individual wave heights, however, may reach in excess of 3 metres at times.
The Met Office says northerly swells are forecast to reach coastlines of Trinidad and Tobago in 18 to 24 hours and as a result, sea conditions are expected to gradually deteriorate in 18 to 24 hours.
These swells are forecast to start affecting coastlines from tomorrow afternoon (Thursday 22nd February, 2018).
They are forecast to reach up to 3 metres in open waters and above 1.5 metres in sheltered areas.
Individual wave heights may reach in excess of 3 metres.
Petrotrin says its officials, along with other stakeholders, are continuing investigations into reports of the presence of strong odours at different locations in Point Fortin.
A statement by the state oil company says that upon receiving initial reports, the company’s emergency responders visited the identified areas and conducted air quality testing and monitoring.
It says inspections of the company’s infrastructure in the area, particularly its pipeline network, were also undertaken.
However, no leaks have been detected.
Minister of Energy and Energy Industries, Franklin Khan says the Government is taking both civil and criminal legal action against the owners of a vessel responsible for an oil spill in Chaguaramas in October last year.
The spill cost the State $2 million in clean-up operations.
Minister Khan told the Senate that on Sunday 15th October, 2017, the ministry received a report of the spill near the Carera Island in Chaguaramas.
A small surface vent has started developing in the Devil’s Woodyard mud volcano which erupted on Carnival Tuesday spewing noxious gas and dirt some 20 feet in the air.
The volcano is still inaccessible to the public with police officers guarding the site 24/7.
In an interview, Stefon Harrypersad, a member the Geological Society of T&T, said the appearance of the vent is quite normal. He added that the GSTT team went back to the location on Saturday to continue mapping the site.
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) says reports reaching it, indicate that there has been additional improvement in seas conditions over the last 24 hours.
Seas are now moderate with wave heights reaching up to 2.5 metres in open waters and near 1 metre in sheltered areas.
Seas are expected to return to a normal state over the next 24 hours.
The TTMS is, therefore, discontinuing the rough seas bulletin.