fire

International: Famed 850-year-old Notre-Dame Cathedral on fire

A fire has broken out at the famous Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris and has spread rapidly across the building.

The cause was not immediately clear, but officials say that it could be linked to renovation work.

Images on social media show plumes of smoke billowing into the air above the 850-year-old Gothic building.

Last year, the Catholic Church in France launched an urgent appeal for funds to save the cathedral, which was starting to crumble.

A major operation is under way to tackle the blaze, which broke out on Monday afternoon.

Damage in fire station fire estimated at $.5 million

No one was injured in the Sunday evening fire at the Scarborough fire Station at Bacolet, Scarborough.

According to Divisional Fire Officer, David Joseph- Thomas, preliminary information indicates that the male dormitory, with an estimated worth of over $.5 million, was destroyed in the fire, 

He said the fire was discovered by an off-duty fire officer at 7 pm.

Cedros family homeless after fire

Yet another family from Cedros has lost their home to a fire, bringing to four the number of families left homeless in fires over the past year.

With seven massive fires recorded in the peninsula since the start of the new year, residents say they will have no other choice but to mobilize a team to petition the government to put a fire appliance at the Cedros Security Complex.

Fire near NP Sea Lots forces evacuation

Workers have been evacuated from NP's Sea Lots facility.

A Guardian Media team is at the site this morning and has been told that a fire broke out at a company located behind NP.

Fire tenders are on the scene and we understand the fire had been contained

However, NP officials have evacuated the facility and health and safety officers are assessing the building to determine whether staff will be allowed to reenter.

Fire leaves La Brea family homeless

In the space of 30 min­utes, Kedisha Castil­lo and her fam­i­ly’s lives were turned up­side down af­ter a fire gut­ted their home in La Brea on Tuesday.

With noth­ing but the clothes on their backs, the fam­i­ly of four was try­ing their best to find a place to rest their heads for the night un­til they could fig­ure out their next move.

It was the sec­ond fire for the week that has left a fam­i­ly home­less and third in less than a month.

Family in fear after arson attack

A Gas­par­il­lo fam­i­ly is now liv­ing in fear af­ter three ar­son­ists at­tempt­ed to fire-bomb their home last Sat­ur­day.

Around 2.30 am, the 43-year-old woman (whose iden­ti­ty has been with­held) was asleep with her fam­i­ly when they were awok­en by her neigh­bour's voice shout­ing “Fire! Fire! Look all yuh house on fire. Look it have a man in the yard there.”

She and her fam­i­ly sprang from their beds and saw one of the wood­en doors to the side of their home ablaze.

Fire at Port-of-Spain General Hospital

Fire officers of the Belmont Fire Station were called out to respond to a fire at the Port-of-Spain Hospital late Friday evening.

Reports indicate tat the fire started with a generator near the X-Ray Department of the hospital and spread to a building on the compound.

Persons warded close to the fire, including Ward 3 and the Radiology department, were evacuated.

Heath Minister Terrance Deyalsingh told Guardian Media around 7.45 pm, that the fire had been extinguished.

There were no reports of casualties.

Boy, 7, burns down home by accident

A sev­en-year-0ld boy play­ing with match­es ac­ci­den­tal­ly torched his fam­i­ly’s home, leav­ing 11 peo­ple home­less.

With their home now de­stroyed, a Moru­ga fam­i­ly is now plan­ning a “sit down” with their chil­dren to dis­cuss fire safe­ty.

The fire that de­stroyed the Mc In­tyres’ four-apart­ment fam­i­ly home left six adults and five chil­dren with on­ly the clothes on their backs. Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, when in­ves­ti­ga­tors spoke to the child’s moth­er, she ad­mit­ted that her son was play­ing with match­es and ac­ci­den­tal­ly set the mat­tress on fire.

Seven homeless after Laventille fire

A bush fire got out of con­trol af­ter a man tried to burn some dried grass de­stroyed two homes and a car in Laven­tille on Sunday leav­ing sev­en peo­ple home­less.

Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, the two wood­en hous­es caught fire around 9 am in Block 22, Laven­tille.

The af­fect­ed fam­i­lies were not present when Guardian Me­dia vis­it­ed the scene around 10 am.

Res­i­dent Se­le­na Williams said she was get­ting ready for church when she was alert­ed by neigh­bours about the blaze.

“I smell the bush burn­ing and I peek out,” she said.

Pages