fire

Cedros family homeless after fire

Yet another family from Cedros has lost their home to a fire, bringing to four the number of families left homeless in fires over the past year.

With seven massive fires recorded in the peninsula since the start of the new year, residents say they will have no other choice but to mobilize a team to petition the government to put a fire appliance at the Cedros Security Complex.

Fire near NP Sea Lots forces evacuation

Workers have been evacuated from NP's Sea Lots facility.

A Guardian Media team is at the site this morning and has been told that a fire broke out at a company located behind NP.

Fire tenders are on the scene and we understand the fire had been contained

However, NP officials have evacuated the facility and health and safety officers are assessing the building to determine whether staff will be allowed to reenter.

Fire leaves La Brea family homeless

In the space of 30 min­utes, Kedisha Castil­lo and her fam­i­ly’s lives were turned up­side down af­ter a fire gut­ted their home in La Brea on Tuesday.

With noth­ing but the clothes on their backs, the fam­i­ly of four was try­ing their best to find a place to rest their heads for the night un­til they could fig­ure out their next move.

It was the sec­ond fire for the week that has left a fam­i­ly home­less and third in less than a month.

Family in fear after arson attack

A Gas­par­il­lo fam­i­ly is now liv­ing in fear af­ter three ar­son­ists at­tempt­ed to fire-bomb their home last Sat­ur­day.

Around 2.30 am, the 43-year-old woman (whose iden­ti­ty has been with­held) was asleep with her fam­i­ly when they were awok­en by her neigh­bour's voice shout­ing “Fire! Fire! Look all yuh house on fire. Look it have a man in the yard there.”

She and her fam­i­ly sprang from their beds and saw one of the wood­en doors to the side of their home ablaze.

Fire at Port-of-Spain General Hospital

Fire officers of the Belmont Fire Station were called out to respond to a fire at the Port-of-Spain Hospital late Friday evening.

Reports indicate tat the fire started with a generator near the X-Ray Department of the hospital and spread to a building on the compound.

Persons warded close to the fire, including Ward 3 and the Radiology department, were evacuated.

Heath Minister Terrance Deyalsingh told Guardian Media around 7.45 pm, that the fire had been extinguished.

There were no reports of casualties.

Boy, 7, burns down home by accident

A sev­en-year-0ld boy play­ing with match­es ac­ci­den­tal­ly torched his fam­i­ly’s home, leav­ing 11 peo­ple home­less.

With their home now de­stroyed, a Moru­ga fam­i­ly is now plan­ning a “sit down” with their chil­dren to dis­cuss fire safe­ty.

The fire that de­stroyed the Mc In­tyres’ four-apart­ment fam­i­ly home left six adults and five chil­dren with on­ly the clothes on their backs. Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, when in­ves­ti­ga­tors spoke to the child’s moth­er, she ad­mit­ted that her son was play­ing with match­es and ac­ci­den­tal­ly set the mat­tress on fire.

Seven homeless after Laventille fire

A bush fire got out of con­trol af­ter a man tried to burn some dried grass de­stroyed two homes and a car in Laven­tille on Sunday leav­ing sev­en peo­ple home­less.

Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, the two wood­en hous­es caught fire around 9 am in Block 22, Laven­tille.

The af­fect­ed fam­i­lies were not present when Guardian Me­dia vis­it­ed the scene around 10 am.

Res­i­dent Se­le­na Williams said she was get­ting ready for church when she was alert­ed by neigh­bours about the blaze.

“I smell the bush burn­ing and I peek out,” she said.

Fishermen shacks destroyed by fire

Fire destroyed 11 fishermen shacks at Kings Wharf, San Fernando on Monday night, leaving over $200,000 in losses. 

Among the items burnt were two vehicles, boat engines, household items, tools and fish storage coolers.

President of the San Fernando Fishing Cooperative said the fishermen were out at sea when they saw the flames in the coast. 

Dhanraj Goolcharan said he immediately picked up his nets and came back to his place only to see the line of shacks burning.

Firefighters were on spot trying to contain the blaze.

Fire guts century-old building in Princes Town

One of the old­est build­ings in Princes Town has been de­stroyed in a fire.

Po­lice said Car­los Bar on High Street, caught fire around 3 am on Mon­day.

One of the prop­er­ty own­ers Sheri­dan Mo­hammed said he was un­cer­tain what caused the fire.

“At this point, we are think­ing it could have been an elec­tri­cal prob­lem,” Mo­hammed said even though there were no pow­er surges or no­tice­able elec­tri­cal mal­func­tion­ing pri­or to the blaze.

Pages