fire

Bush fire affects school

Three days a bush fire forced the evacuation of 900 plus pupils at the Princes Town No1 and No 2 Presbyterian Primary Schools, classes had to be dismissed early again on Monday.

President of the PTA Nola Ramjohn-Karim said the fire damaged the school's water lines and a hydroponic system which was set up inside the school compound. Ironically, it started behind the school, around 11 am on Thursday, shortly after the T&T Fire Services completed a drill at the school, Ramjohn-Karim added.

Fete promoters want security fee issue cleared up

Fete pro­mot­ers can pay up to $150,000 for manda­to­ry pro­tec­tive ser­vices for po­lice and fire of­fi­cers to be present at each of their events.

This cost, the TT Pro­mot­ers As­so­ci­a­tion (TTPA) said, con­tin­ues to rise and they are seek­ing a meet­ing with the rel­e­vant stake­hold­ers to pro­pose so­lu­tions to this is­sue.

Woman perishes in Sealots fire

A woman believed to be in her early 20's has perished in a fire in Sealots.

The woman has not yet been identified.

Neighbours say that she only moved into the house recently and was staying there with another occupant who was not at home at the time.

Residents say they tried in vain to get the woman out of the house but it appeared as though she was locked in.

Firefighters found the body after putting out the blaze.

Investigations are continuing.

Fire leaves four homeless in La Brea

A family of four was left homeless today after a fire destroyed their home in Sobo Village, La Brea.

Up to 5 pm, Point Fortin firefighters were on the scene, ensuring that the blaze was completely extinguished.

Residents said that around 4.30 pm, the fire broke out at the house, forcing the family out.

Neighbours formed a bucket brigade and were able to save the family’s parlour, but it was too late for the house.

By the time fire services arrived 30 minutes later, they saw that most of the concrete and wooden structure was gone.

Grandmother dies in fire

What would have been a quiet boxing day holiday for Tarra Seeram and her loved ones turned into tragedy after an early morning fire claimed the life of the 63-year-old grandmother in central Trinidad.

Fire officers say around 4:30 this morning, a fire broke out at the Korea village, Carapaichaima home where Tarra Seeram lived with one of her children.

 Reports say Seeram's son managed to escape the flames and was under the impression that she was not at home but instead spent Christmas night at the home of a neighbour, something she usually did for the holidays.

Claxton Bay family homeless after fire

Just a week after losing his job at Weldfab Limited, a Claxton Bay man and his family lost their home in a fire on Wednesday.

Surlal Ramgoolie, 52, his wife Omatie and their son Sean Ramgoolie, 19 escaped death when their wooden and concrete home at Teak Avenue, caught fire shortly before midnight.

Their pet parrots and three caged bullfinches died in the blaze. Their dog nicknamed Puppy got severe burns to his face. 

Standing outside the ruins of the house, a distraught Omatie said she did not know how to move on.

Fire at Drag Mall was 4th in three years

Fire fight­ers are still at the scene of a fire at the Peo­ple’s Mall on Hen­ry Street in Port-of-Spain.

Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, the fire start­ed at the site around 7.45 am.

Fire fight­ers were quick­ly on the scene and were able to con­tain the blaze to a few of the booths on the site.

Booth own­ers who were around the trou­ble spot were seen des­per­ate­ly try­ing to sal­vage what­ev­er they could as fire fight­ers worked to pre­vent the fire from spread­ing.

Fire fighters extinguish fire at NP tank

National Petroleum has extinguished a fire at its Sealots Tank Farm.

Shortly after 1 pm, smoke was seen billowing from the top of a tank on the southern side of the Tank Farm area of NP’s Sea Lots, Port-of-Spain.

In a statement, NP said in keeping with established Health Safety and Environment procedural guidelines, the Fire Services were immediately contacted.

Fire tenders from the Wrightson Road Fire Station were dispatched to the scene.

Pages