fire

Scratch bomb fire leaves nine homeless

Scratch bomb and fire­works play for chil­dren in the Mc Bean, Cou­va com­mu­ni­ty on Di­vali night end­ed up in tragedy for three fam­i­lies af­ter two of their hous­es burst in­to flames de­stroy­ing every­thing.

Nine peo­ple are now home­less, in­clud­ing four chil­dren – a 13-year-old and a 10-year-old.

The vic­tims are Michael Ram­per­sad, 61, his sons Roger, 37 and Jim­my, 36; Jim­my’s wife Videya Lal­la, 34 and their four chil­dren ages sev­en, 10, 12 and 13 and Lal­la’s broth­er Dar­ly Ram­narace.

Single father, daughters now homeless after house fire

Single parent father Dillon Cooper grabbed his daughters and ran out of their burning house in Moruga on Thursday night after a candle ignited the wooden house.

Though he managed to save his girls, Cooper was unable to save his house which burnt to the ground.

The fire officers who responded to the call took a wrong road and by the time they arrived, the entire house had gone up in flames.

Dillon said this was the second tragedy he suffered after his brother Anton Cooper was killed by three prison officers at Golden Grove more than a decade ago.

Penal man dies in house fire

Trapped by his fears of being outdoors, Raffie Mohammed was burnt alive in a fire which destroyed his home in Penal on Monday afternoon.

His sister Nazra Baksh 52, who risked her life in a futile bid to save him, suffered extensive burns to her arms, back and legs, when she tried to pull him out from under a swing in the upper floor of the wooden house at Tulsa Branch Trace, Penal.

Mohammed, 47 suffered from down syndrome since birth and had never before left the safety of his home. He lived with his 87-year-old mother Shairoon Mohammed. 

Fire inside fire station...again

For the second time in as many months, fire broke out inside the Mon Repos Fire Headquarters, prompting officers to call for an immediate rewiring of the entire building.

Throughout Sunday night and for most of the day on Monday, the headquarters, situated at the San Fernando Bye-Pass remained without an electricity supply.

Fire officers said the heat was unbearable in the facility, adding that the toilets were dirty as the water pumps were dysfunctional.

The fire started around 6:20 pm,  in an electrical metre inside the engineering section.

Pages