Three Icacos fishermen allegedly abducted by Venezuelan pirates have been released.
Police have confirmed that the men, 64 year old Ramkissoon Harricharan, 61 year old Carlo Sneider and Alverad Esanoza were released by their captors last evening.
CNC3 News understands that the ten thousand US-Dollar ransom demanded for the men's safe return was paid.
The men were reportedly dropped off at an area known as Icacos Point around 8 pm.
On Tuesday, the men were held at gun point while fishing in waters off Galfa Point in Icacos.
Relatives and friends of seven fishermen lost at sea are making a desperate plea for assistance in finding them.
The men were on six boats in the Gulf of Paria around 11 pm on Monday night when pirates struck.
A month after a fire destroyed eleven shacks on King's Wharf, fishermen are still waiting for assistance to buy back their boat engines and nets.
Stella Rasool who lost over $75,000 worth of nets and engines said since the fire they have not been able to go back to sea.
"The boat pulled up because we lost our engine. It really hard for us. Right now we living off our savings. We have four children to take care of and it really hard," Rasool said.
She said after the fire San Fernando Mayor Junia Regrello promised to assist.
Two fishermen were arrested and a quantity of marijuana seized by officers of the Southern Division Task Force and San Fernando Criminal Investigations Department, during an anti-crime exercise conducted in the La Romaine district last night.
Officers acting on information, stopped and searched a white Kia 2700 pick-up van, with two male occupants along the South Trunk Road, La Romaine, in the vicinity of Price Smart around 11:05 pm on Monday.
The search resulted in officers finding a grey container filled with ice.
Five of the fishermen reportedly abducted by Venezuelan pirates have returned to this country after more than a week
Early this morning 35-year-old Lynton Manohar, 38-year-old Jason O'Brien, 28-year-old Brandon Arjoon, 17-year-old Jagdesh jaikeran and 49-year-old Rickey Rambharose, all of Morne Diablo, Penal came back to Trinidad on a pirogue.
A US 200 thousand dollars ransom had been demanded for their safe return.
O'Brien's brother Jerry who was also kidnapped along with the others was sent back home last Thursday with an instruction to pay the ransom.
One of the five fishermen kidnapped by Venezuelan pirates has been released.
A well-placed source told Guardian Media the unknown man was released sometime today.
A part of the US$200,000 ransom demanded by the abductors was reportedly paid.
The identity of the man has not been released.
Jagdesh Jude Jaikaran, 16, Linton Manohar, 36, Brandon Arjoon, 28, brothers Jason O’Brien 38 and Jerry O’Brien 36, all of Morne Diablo, Penal and Ricky Rambharose 35, who lives in a neighbouring community, were kidnapped and taken to Venezuela.
A $35 million fish landing facility, built for Guayaguayare fishermen in 2012, remains unoccupied and underutilised because of poor design and construction.
When the tide comes in, the force of the waves from the Atlantic Ocean cascades into the facility making it impossible for the fishermen to use. They cannot dock at the port either because the harbour was not dredged properly to facilitate landing and the pier is eight feet higher than their pirogues.
One man is dead and another missing at sea after the boat they were in sank this morning.
CNC3 news understands that three men boarded a pirogue and set sail off the Maracas Bay.
It is reported that the vessel began taking in water causing it to sink.
One man was able to swim to shore and then informed the police about the developments, but it was too late.
Around 8 am the body of 66-year-old Benedict Mc Clean washed ashore.
Members of the coast guard are currently combing the waters to locate the missing man.