News of the official start of the 2019 rainy season resurrected fear among Greenvale residents, who were displaced after last year’s catastrophic floods.
Last October, over 400 residents’ homes in Greenvale, La Horquetta, were inundated with water following heavy and persistent rainfall activity. Arguably, it was the community most impacted at the time.
Six months after residents of Greenvale, La Horquetta, suffered widespread flooding in their community, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley yesterday gave the assurance that such disaster will never happen again.
Rowley’s comments came after he toured the housing development, which was adversely affected by flooding following heavy and persistent showers on October 19, 2018.
The PM also viewed works on the second phase of the $400 million Cumuto to Manzanilla Highway which was awarded to Kallco in 2017.
Minister of National Security Stuart Young has said the Greenvale disaster has proved a major lesson for this country concerning its approach to disaster preparation.
The Minister admitted that there were numerous challenges which came to the forefront when flood waters rose suddenly last October leaving scores of residents in danger.
He was speaking at the opening ceremony for the National Disaster Preparedness Baseline Assessment Workshop at the Hilton Trinidad on Wednesday.
Minister of Works and Transport Rohan Sinanan has said his Ministry is working to ensure that last year's devastating flooding at the Housing Development Corporation's Greenvale housing development does not happen again.
Many Greenvale residents, who occupy housing units and apartments south of La Horquetta, are still rebuilding in the wake of last year disaster.
Several residents have abandoned their homes while others are wary the next rainy season could spell danger.