Students of the University of the West Indies who were selected to be part of an internship at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in the US are fearful their dreams may not come through due to a lack of funding. The programme begins in one month.
Minister of Planning and Development Camille Robinson-Regis has secured further financial support in the form of Grant Funding from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) towards emergency relief efforts for communities affected by recent flooding in October, the ministry said in a statement Thursday.
This follows the grant of US$200,000 from the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) through the utilisation of the Emergency Response Grant under the CDB’s Disaster Management Strategy and Operational Guidelines.
The Ministry of Education says the boards of management of government-assisted primary schools, have begun collecting their Cleaners and Maintenance Grants for Term III.
The termly grant is provided for the payment of costs associated with the cleaning and general upkeep of the schools.
The ministry says that principals of all 39 government-assisted secondary schools have also been able to collect their Term II grants.
The ANSA McAL Foundation has disbursed grants in the sum of $114,760 to five recipients.
Recipients included the Down Syndrome Family Network, the Foundation for Human Development, the Metamorphosis Dance Company, the Cropper Foundation and the Special Child Foundation.
The ANSA McAL Foundation has been in existence since 1993 and has gifted several worthy causes in Trinidad & Tobago.
The Foundation is chaired by Mr. A Norman Sabga, LLD (Hon.) UWI, Executive Chairman of the ANSA McAL Group of companies.
Finance Minister says the contribution to the Chutney Soca Monarch (CSM) will now be $1 million.
The minister was addressing a news conference Thursday afternoon.
He said the initial decision to give Southex $300,000 was based on false information that the Ministry donated $500,000 to CSM last year.
However, the actual figure was $1.5 million.
The decision made by the State is to reduce state funding to competitions like these by one third.
We will have more on this developing story later.
Report by Guardian Media's Akash Samaroo.
Minister of Community Development, Culture and the Arts, Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, is refuting as "divisive and inaccurate", statements made by Opposition Leader, Kamla Persad Bissessar that Government did not provide funding for cultural and religious groups for 2017 Indian Arrival Day celebrations.
The Ministry says in a statement that, through its Grants Committee, it received and evaluated applications for grants/support to aid the hosting of Indian Arrival Day celebrations across Trinidad and Tobago.
It says funding totalling $347,500 in support was approved.
The National Council of Indian Culture (NCIC) hopes that the government will give them even more money for Divali Nagar celebrations this year.
This comes from Surujdeo Mangaroo, the public relations officer of the NCIC.
Mangaroo spoke with CNC3 on Sunday evening when the NCIC staged the semi-final rounds of its Youth Champ and Miss Divali Nagar Queen competition at the Gulf City, San Fernando.