The infiltration of criminal gangs which have been siphoning millions of taxpayers dollars from Government projects and contractors has been a problem for over two decades, according to Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley.
And he conceded that there was no easy solution to the problem but he intends to stamp it out.
The multi-million dollar contracts given to seven reputed gang leaders at two PNM-controlled corporations will now be the subject of an expansive audit that will also include the 12 other regional corporations across the country.
The announcement was made by Rural Development and Local Government Minister Kazim Hosein in a media release issued on Wednesday in which he signalled his intention to have this matter properly investigated.
Over the next few weeks, Guardian Media will be highlighting a multi-part investigative series that hinges on underworld activity and key players that police have been monitoring for a period of time.
This is the first part in the Underworld Files series.
Seven reputed gang leaders in north Trinidad have benefited from State contracts worth close to $6 million in spite of assurances by Government to the contrary.
Former minister in the Ministry of National Security Subhas Panday is calling on Police Commissioner Gary Griffith to expose the names of the 50 dangerous shooters responsible for the rise in homicides in T&T.
At a press conference held at his San Fernando office yesterday, Panday said people are being shot daily while the Commissioner keeps the information on the shooters a secret.
Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith has revealed that there are “over 50 shooters, linked to various gangs” in this country who are responsible for the “significant number of homicides, via gang activity.”
In a statement released to the media on Monday, the Commissioner said this is the reason why the Bail Amendment Bill is a “critical tool” in being a strong deterrent and ensuring that when criminals are held they remain behind bars.
The arrests of several men reputed to be gang leaders last week was done to “disrupt” a potentially hazardous outcome, according to Minister of National Security Stuart Young.
Over the course of last week, Cedric “Burkie” Burke, his son Revaldo Burke, Akani “Dole” Adams, Anton “Boombay” Boney and Quincy Felix were arrested under the Anti-Gang Act and subsequently released after lawyers filed a writ of habeas corpus on their behalf.