A request has been made on costs for further surgery which Public Administration Minister Maxie Cuffie needs, says OPM spokesman Stuart Young.
Cuffie has been in the US for rehabilitation since last November after suffering a stroke last September and having surgery then.
Last week, he sought a month’s leave from Parliament. Young said the surgery he now requires is part of what’s normally required in his condition. He said Government had been approached on medical costs and had set a ceiling on what it was prepared to fund. He wasn’t sure of the ceiling.
UNC Member of Parliament for Tabaquite, Dr Suruj Rambachan says he is viewing with deep concern, the plight of over 4,000 persons now awaiting cataract surgery.
"It is inexcusable the failure of the Minister of Health to address the situation in a timely and compassionate manner," Dr Rambachan said in a statement on Wednesday.
Weeping for his brain-damaged son Riley, who was taken from his mother’s womb by doctors forceps during an arduous delivery, Randy Jaglal yesterday called for Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh’s intervention, saying babies were at risk in the old San Fernando General hospital.
Senator Avinash Singh had to jump into a river to preserve his life on Saturday, after being attacked by a swarm of bees.
Up to late yesterday, Singh, Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture, remained warded at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, after being stung by more than a hundred bees.
Singh, a registered farmer, was ploughing his father’s land in Felicity, Chaguanas, when the bees invaded the area and swarmed around him, the T&T Guardian was told.
A woman employed as a cleaner with the Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA), was granted $25,000 bail when she appeared before a Scarborough Magistrate charged with larceny of $9,300 worth of equipment and supplies from the kitchen of the Scarborough General Hospital, between the period July, 2017 and February, 2018.
Dianne Bedlow McCrimmon, 49, of Piggot Street, Scarborough, appeared before Magistrate Annette McKenzie in the Scarborough 1st Magistrates’ Court on Monday 26th February, 2018.
The matter was adjourned to Friday 16th March, 2018.
The Ministry of Health is advising citizens that a few suspected cases of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease have recently been reported in a small group of children at a specific location in Trinidad.
The ministry says there is no serious public health risk for Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD) at this time.
The symptoms of HFMD are:
• painful sores in the mouth
• a rash with blisters on hands, feet and buttocks
Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram is assuring there is no outbreak of the Hand, Foot and Mouth disease in the country.
The confirmation follows the Health Ministry's recent circulation of a memo warning of the spread of the disease.
However, Dr Parasram says the correspondence was sent to all physicians to be on alert for cases of the disease and not meant to put the population on panic mode.
According to him, the reported cases in a Central Trinidad school have been traced, persons treated and the disease contained.