The ministry of health is doubling down on its insistence that there is no flu outbreak in Trinidad and Tobago.
In an official statement, the ministry is reasserting that suspected influenza cases for the last three years have been on the decline.
The ministry said there were 6,500 cases in 2016, but that dropped to just over 2,000 for this year, so far.
One hundred thousand doses of the influenza vaccine will be given to all hospitals and health centres throughout Trinidad and Tobago. The ministry says that process should be completed by Friday.
Former education minister and Caroni East MP, Dr Tim Gopeesingh, says health minister Terrence Deyalsingh is guilty of negligence and mismanagement of the H1N1 outbreak in this country.
In an official statement, the Caroni East MP accuses the health minister of “engaging cheap politics and abdicating his responsibilities to citizens’ lives with respect to the H1N1 (Swine) flu outbreak”.
Former health minister, Dr Fuad Khan, is demanding that the current health minister retract his allegation that the People’s Partnership Government hid critical information on the H1N1 virus and related deaths in the country.
The call comes in the wake of statements Terrence Deyalsingh made at a PNM political meeting in Tunapuna, this week.
According to Minister Deyalsingh, former Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar allegedly instructed public officials to hide swine flu mortality statistics, during the period 2013 to 2015.
The 2020 influenza vaccine is expected to arrive in T&T today.
Yesterday, Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh refuted reports of the government covering up a 'deadly outbreak' of H1N1 in Trinidad and Tobago.
A social media page alleged that there were thirty deaths thus far, and approximately one thousand cases reported at hospitals.
In his statement, the minister noted that the H1N1 is nothing new. He also indicated the country's flu season started in October and runs until May.
A Trini-born surgeon practising in England is being hailed as a hero by many for successfully reconstructing the jaw of a 15-year-old girl following a horse-riding accident.
Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial surgeon based at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals and an Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Sheffield, Ricardo Mohammed-Ali, successfully reconstructed the jaw of Emily Eccles when it broke in half in August.
The responsibility for care and protection for babies with microcephaly should be in the state’s hands since Government was late in responding to preparations for last year’s Zika mosquito epidemic and babies with Microcephaly were later born, says UNC MP Dr Tim Gopeesingh.
Gopeesingh was speaking in yesterday’s 2020 Budget debate in the Lower House.
Microcephaly, a condition where a baby’s head is smaller than normal, is caused by the Zika virus among other conditions.
Two male victims who stayed at the Transformed Life Ministries Rehabilitation Centre claimed that they were tortured and abused during their eight-month collective stay at the church.
“I was gagged, handcuffed and thrown into a very small cage for many days when I got there. It just has an iron bed frame and a bucket which I was later told had to be used as a toilet.”