Mayaro

Government allocates $2 million for flood relief

Two million dollars have been allocated by Government to assist corporations affected by recent flooding.

In a statement issued by Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley today, the Penal / Debe Regional Corporation will receive $1 million, while Mayaro and the Barrackpore community will each receive half a million dollars.

The statement added that while assessments on the extent of damage caused by the flooding were ongoing, Government recognized the need to make funds available to provide humanitarian aid.

Flooding woes continue

Thirty-five families have been rescued from floodwaters in Penal, and several other families have managed to make their way out of danger to stay with relatives.

Confirmation came today from local government councillor for Penal, Shanti Boodram, who also is a flood victim, herself.

The Penal councillor told Guardian Media that many people have lost everything in their homes, as well as their crops, their livestock and their livelihoods to the raging flood waters.

Padarath: EBC continues to blunder

“Blunders by the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC) are a cause for concern,” says Princes Town MP, Barry Padarath. 

The MP spoke with Guardian Media on Monday when he went to cast his vote at the Couva Anglican School at the Southern Main Road.

Padarath was informed that the Station opened a few minutes after 6 am, much to the displeasure of the lines of voters who had been at the venue since 5 am, waiting to cast their ballots.

Padarath said he has been informed that there were issues in Mayaro and Princes Town.

One YTC escapee caught; 4 still at large

 

One of the five juveniles who escaped custody from the Youth Transformation and Rehabilitation Centre (YTC) on October 3rd, was captured on Sunday November 3rd in the Mayaro district.

15-year-old Jaden Fletcher was recaptured by officers from the Mayaro Police Station at 1:45 pm on Sunday. He was found in an abandoned house.

Seaweed horror for Mayaro fisherfolk

Fish­er­men who ply their trade in the At­lantic Ocean, off the south-east coast of Trinidad, say the re­turn of the sar­gas­sum sea­weed is af­fect­ing their abil­i­ty to catch fish.

A large amount of the sea­weed be­gan wash­ing up along the south­east­ern coast, par­tic­u­lar­ly along the Ma­yaro shore­line, over the last two weeks. 

Fish­er­men say the sea­weed dam­age their nets and en­gines.

With their in­creased cost for su­per gas af­ter reg­u­lar im­ports were halt­ed, fish­er­men com­plained that they don’t have the mon­ey to re­pair their boats and nets.

Pages