Suspended police officer Akeem James has been granted $200,000 bail on charges of rape, grievous sexual assault and false imprisonment of a 29-year-old Venezuelan woman.
James, 28, a special reserve police officer with six years of service, was initially denied bail on June 26. However, when he reappeared in court before Senior Magistrate Rae Roopchand, he was granted bail and ordered to report twice a week at the police station. He was also warned to stay away from and have no contact with the victim.
Special Reserve Police officer Akeem James has been denied bail on charges of rape, grievous sexual assault and false imprisonment of a 29-year-old Venezuelan woman.
James, 28, appeared on Wednesday before Princes Town First Court Magistrate Wendy Dougdeen-Bally on Wednesday.
The magistrate was told that James had a pending matter of a similar nature.
James was charged on Tuesday night by WCpl Dane-Marie Marshal of the Professional Standards Bureau.
Special Reserve Police officer Akeem James will appear before a Princes Town Magistrate's Court on Wednesday morning on three charges of rape, grievous sexual assault and false imprisonment of a 29-year-old Venezuelan woman.
The instructions to charge the officer were handed down by DPP Roger Gaspard late Tuesday night, according to senior police sources who spoke to Guardian Media.
The incident allegedly occurred in November 2018 after the 29-year-old victim was taken against her will to a house in Princes Town.
A Belmont man has appeared before the Port-of-spain Magistrates’ Court, after being charged with the sexual penetration of a developmentally challenged 15-year-old teen.
Isaiah Cain aka ‘Dog Rice’, 22, was granted $100,000 bail with surety by Magistrate Adia Mohammed, on Thursday 6th June, 2019, and is expected to reappear before a Magistrate on Thursday 4th July, 2019.
The charge arose from an incident which allegedly occurred on Thursday 16th May, 2019, when the victim was on her way to school.
Police are investigating reports that a woman was raped at gunpoint at the Plymouth Multi-purpose Centre early this morning.
According to a report, the victim was working in the area when she was held against her will and sexually assaulted at the facility. A
villager, who does not want to be identified, told Guardian Media police are currently on the scene near the corner of Pentland and Adventure Link Road.
"Neighbours started calling each other and warning that we should stay inside and be vigilant," the woman said.
A Caroni man has appeared before the Chaguanas Magistrates’ Court after being charged with the rape of a 23-year-old woman.
Michel Jones aka ‘Anthony Jones’, a 28-year-old mason, was granted $100,000 bail by Magistrate Andrew Stroude today.
He was also ordered by the magistrate stay away from the victim’s places of residence, study and work.
Jones is expected to reappear before a magistrate on Tuesday 9th April, 2019.
A 64-year-old man from San Juan, convicted of raping his 13-year-old stepdaughter in 2004, has been sentenced to 23 years in prison.
The man, who can not be named to protect the identity of the victim, was found guilty of having sex with the minor late last year but was only sentenced by High Court Judge Hayden St Clair-Douglas at the Hall of Justice in Port-of-Spain yesterday.
According to the evidence presented at trial, the victim, who lived with the man since she was six-years-old, claimed that the attacks took place between February 2003 and November 2004.
Three young men held since Friday with the rape, robbery and sodomy of two 20-year-old women, appeared on another round of identification parades in Marabella on Tuesday.
The suspects aged 22, 24 and 27 have been in custody since 3 am on Friday after police arrested them at their homes in Diamond Village, San Fernando.
Police said the investigation will be completed today and senior officers will make a recommendation for them to be charged with two counts of rape and robbery.
Three suspects believed to have beaten, robbed, raped and sodomised two women, after abducting them following a party in San Fernando last week, have been arrested by police.
The suspects were nabbed around 3am at their homes in Diamond Village, San Fernando.
A team of officers headed by Sgt Clint Williams went to the homes of the suspects and arrested them.
The men, ages 27, 24 and 22, who are a businessman, labourer and mechanic, were taken to the San Fernando CID.
A man who was charged and released on bail for several previous sexual offences is due to be placed on several identification parades tomorrow.
According to police reports, he was arrested by officers of the Central Division, during an anti-crime exercise conducted in the Chaguanas district this morning in connection with several reports of serious indecency and indecent exposure.
The suspect from Enterprise, Chaguanas, who is in his late thirties, was wanted in connection with a number of sexual offences and other crimes occurring in the Division.