On Thursday 15th March 2018, the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment welcomed its 19th substantive Commanding Officer, Colonel Darnley E Wyke to the helm.
Colonel Wyke assumes Command of the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment, preceded by Brigadier Archillus Phillips, former substantive Commanding Officer of the Regiment, who has since been elevated to Vice Chief of Defence Staff of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.
The assumption of Command Ceremony took place at 10:30 a.m. at the Regiment Headquarters in Aranguez.
The Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force (Regiment) has issued a statement confirming that it has been investigating a claim of sexually inappropriate behaviour involving persons training to become potential officers (officer cadets) at Teteron Barracks, Chaguaramas.
A formal report on the incident was recently made by the alleged victim although the purported matter is reported to have occurred in the latter half of last year.
The Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force has issued a statement strongly condemning what it calls "the brazen and unwarranted attack and wounding of Lance Corporal (LCpl) Ian Carter and an unidentified civilian".
In an immediate response to this shooting, Acting Commanding Officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment (TTR) Colonel Dexter Francis said he would commit “the necessary resources in support of the TTPS to bring the perpetrators of this heinous act to justice”.
The acting commanding officer of the T&T Regiment, Colonel Dexter Francis, has dispelled reports made in the media this week linking the death of Corporal Jerry Leacock to voice notes that went viral on social media referencing possible terrorist attacks in T&T.
In a release yesterday, the Regiment's public affairs officer, Captain Stefan Affonso, said "based on investigations thus far, these unfounded links that appear to be confirmed by the media have not been verified and are not linked to Cpl Leacock or any member of the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment.”
The Ministry of National Security is mourning the death of Corporal Jerry Leacock of the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment and is promising to work tirelessly to help bring the perpetrators to justice.
The following is the statement issued by the Ministry of National Security today:
The T&T Regiment has started repairs on a house on Carenage damaged by the downdraft of an airguard helicopter a week ago.
The repairs come after an apology by the Chief of Defense Staff earlier this week.
The following is the full statement by the T&T Defence Force: