Twenty unfinished schools have been placed on a priority list for completion, among these the Chatham Government Primary School.
This was revealed by Education Minister Anthony Garcia in response to complaints from residents that three primary schools in Cedros were shut down because of infrastructural defects.
Garcia said many of the incomplete schools were held up because of outstanding debts owed to contractors.
Education Minister Anthony Garcia says the salaries owed to school maxi taxi drivers have already been processed and he was hoping that they will be paid before Christmas.
St Joseph's Convent Port-of-Spain has topped all schools for national scholarships. with a whopping 41, which includes 24 open and 17 additional.
The full list of scholarships-by-school, was released by the Ministry of Education today.
Hillview College was second best with 35 scholarships and St Augustine Girls High School, third with 34.
Couva East Secondary was the top government school with four scholarships.
The following is the full breakdown
It's been more than a year since denominational schools received direct funding from government and officials now say they are fed up with the burden of raising funds to run their schools.
In a letter sent to the Education Minister Anthony Garcia, public relations officer of the Association of Denominational Boards of Education, Satnarayan Maharaj said a meeting was held last week during which officials expressed serious concerns on the failure of the Ministry of Education to address the funding issue.
The Ministry of Education says it empathises with students, teachers and staff who were affected by the disruption of service to the Caroni Water Treatment Plant.
Some schools were forced to close their doors earlier than expected as a result of having no water on the compound.
Minister of Education Anthony Garcia thanked teachers and students for their commitment to teaching and learning and acknowledged that unforeseen circumstances like today can become hindrances to the learning process.
The Ministry of Education says that during the July/August vacation period, it has been working strategically to prepare all schools to open its doors on Monday 3rd September 2018.
It says that as part of the preparation, it has issued contracts to over 70 Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) teachers, over 50 primary school teachers have been appointed, over 60 secondary school teachers have been sent to schools across the country and over 150 School Social Workers have been brought on to augment the employee complement of the Student Support Services Division (SSSD).