A manhunt has been launched for the suspect involved in the shooting death of a soldier on Thursday evening.
Shortly after 6pm, 42-year-old Sergeant Ken Palmer got into an altercation with a group of men.
One of Palmer's attackers went to a home a short distance and returned with a firearm.
The man subsequently shot Palmer several times about the body.
The soldier was killed on the scene.
Another man who was hit by bullets during the fracas was taken to hospital and remains warded.
Two soldiers, accused of defrauding the Defence Force of $1.5m in an alleged payroll scam, have agreed to repay the money.
Lance corporal Jason Richards and private Josimar Belgrave gave the undertaking as the State’s civil lawsuit against them came up for hearing before Justice Ricky Rahim in the Port-of-Spain High Court yesterday.
A soldier attached to the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force is expected to appear before a Sangre Grande Magistrate today, charged with the murder of his one-year-old daughter, Soriah Martin, which occurred on Tuesday 12th December, 2017.
No. 11584 Cpl. Kerros Martin, 29, of Jacelon Trace, Vega De Oropouche, was charged with murder, following advice received from Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, Joan Honore-Paul, on Monday 8th January, 2018.
A soldier attached to the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force has been granted $75,000 bail, after appearing before a Sangre Grande Magistrate today, charged with wounding with intent against Gregory Harracksingh, which occurred on Tuesday 12th December, 2017.
Corporal Kerros Martin, 29, of Jacelon Trace, Vega De Oropouche, appeared before Senior Magistrate Debra Quintyne in the Sangre Grande 1st Magistrates’ Court, on Thursday 21st December, 2017, to answer to the charge.
The matter was adjourned to Thursday, 4th January, 2018.
A Lance Corporal with the T&T Regiment was released on $80,000 bail when he appeared in court yesterday charged with sexually assaulting two minors ages eight and 14. The offences are alleged to have taken place almost three years ago.
Curt Collins appeared before Magistrate Adia Mohammed in the Port-of-Spain court. He was not called upon to plead to the charges.
As with all cases of sexual offences, Mohammed cleared the courtroom of members of the public including media personnel before the soldier’s appearance.
The military is denying claims that the soldier who died from a gunshot wound at Camp Cumuto, was involved in an investigation into photos that were made public last year, of the Attorney General's children holding weapons at an army base.
In a press release issued yesterday afternoon, the Regiment’s Public Affairs Unit said it was greatly concerned by inaccuracies over a link to the high-profile investigation and Samaroo’s death on Thursday being circulated on social media web sites.
Omar Samaroo, the soldier who was found slumped in his quarters with a gunshot wound to the head has died.
The 47-year-old, was undergoing treatment at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex when he succumbed to his injuries around midnight.
The soldier was found in a slumped position in his quarters on Thursday morning
He was treated by medics stationed at the 1st Engineer Battalion, Cumuto.
He was then taken to the Arima Health Facility where he was stabilised and then transferred to Mt Hope.
The Regiment says it is investigating this morning's incident in which a soldier was found shot at the Cumuto Barracks.
The Regiment has issued a statement on the matter:
"The Trinidad and Tobago Regiment is investigating the circumstances of an incident which involved a soldier who is currently undergoing treatment for a gunshot related wound.
He is at Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex having been first stabilised at the Arima Health Facility.
The Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force has issued a statement strongly condemning what it calls "the brazen and unwarranted attack and wounding of Lance Corporal (LCpl) Ian Carter and an unidentified civilian".
In an immediate response to this shooting, Acting Commanding Officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment (TTR) Colonel Dexter Francis said he would commit “the necessary resources in support of the TTPS to bring the perpetrators of this heinous act to justice”.