The date for the Secondary Entrance Assessment (S.E.A.) has been officially confirmed and announced, and Education Minister Anthony Garcia says this year will see the largest number of students writing the exam in recent years.
The education minister, who made the announcement this morning, says this year’s exam will focus on Creative Writing, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills.
Some 3,000 students across Trinidad and Tobago have benefitted from a special initiative that provides free vision screening and testing and spectacles.
The Brighter View initiative, carried out by Courts Optical, was launched in 2017 in Trinidad as a wider part of Unicomer’s Corporate Social Responsibility Programme. It was then expanded to the wider Caribbean region to the tune of USD$50K and has reached the islands of Jamaica, Guyana, St Lucia, St Vincent, Grenada, Dominica, Antigua, St Kitts and Belize last year.
Executives from the Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers Association (TTUTA) are meeting today with teachers from the South East Port Of Spain Secondary School, who were traumatised by yesterday’s close call during a gang shoot-out.
Education Minister Anthony Garcia says there is nothing sinister regarding the as yet-unannounced 2019 CAPE Scholarship results.
Seeking to reassure students and their parents, Garcia said, “We have to make sure we are very careful in deciding.”
“The performance of our students has been very good, excellent in fact. And therefore we have to make sure that in making these decisions we give everybody an equal chance.”
As the Carnival season comes to an end, Education Minister Anthony Garcia is reiterating his call on parents to send their children to school on Ash Wednesday and the rest of the week.
“Parents need to ensure that they are sending the right message to their children. Do not keep your children at home. There is school after Carnival. Do not deprive them from teaching time, especially as they prepare to write the SEA, CSEC and CAPE exams,” he said.