People spreading propaganda that the swine flu vaccine is unsafe is causing a major problem, says Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh.
"But the vaccine is safe, available and that's the action we now have to take," Deyalsingh said on Tuesday.
He was replying to UNC Senator Wade Mark's queries in the Senate on Tuesday.
Even as members of the public continue to complain about vaccination shortages, chief executive officer of the South West Regional Health Authority Keith Mc Donald assured that additional supplies of vaccines are being sent to health centres on a daily basis.
Nurses at various health centres said normally 20 vaccines are given but since last week they have gone up to administering over 150 vaccinations on a daily basis.
Denying that vaccines had run out, Mc Donald said because of the sudden public demand for seasonal influenza vaccines, supplies were finishing earlier.
Influenza vaccinations have run low in some health centres as public demand grows with the threat of the deadly H1N1 virus.
At the Pleasantville Health Centre, scores of people were turned away as supplies ran low. Only 162 people received vaccinations at the Penal Health Centre while vaccinations at Marabella and Roy Joseph in San Fernando also ran out.
Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh says there is a crisis in the outbreak of H1N1 or swine flu in Trinidad especially in the southern part of the country where there have been three reported deaths.
Deyalsingh made this disclosure to the media after the official opening of the Sangre Grande Enhanced Health Centre at Ojoe Road, Sangre Grande yesterday.
The Minister of Health confirmed that three deaths have been recorded as a result of H1N1 and noted there are many more lab-confirmed cases.
The South West Regional Health Authority says it continues to remain on heightened alert for Swine Flu cases and has coordinated all its facilities within the region to be prepared with flu vaccines.
The SWRHA is also seeking to assure the public that all proper medical procedures were followed in the treatment of Nicole Seecharan, the Tabaquite woman, who succumbed to the virus.
It says on December 10th last year, swabs were taken for testing and the results came in 9 days later.
Ministry of Health officials have confirmed three deaths related to Swine Flu.
On Wednesday Guardian Media revealed that a 47-year-old Tabaquite woman died from the H1N1 virus.
Today, Director of Women's Health Dr Adesh Sirjusingh said there's no need for public alarm.
He said that at this time of year, the seasonal influenza is circulating.
He added that the flu is like the common cold but come as a more severe form of illness and in worst case scenarios, can result in death.
SWRHA acting medical director Dr Robin Sinanan has confirmed that over the past few months, there were patients being treated for H1N1 (Swine Flu). He said the figure was not alarming and the patients are being treated.
“I think by now H1N1 would be endemic to the country. It’s global. Folks travel all the time and we are always screening people on travel and when they return. The ministry has a national programme where they screen people who are returning from all countries, so yes, it is always on the cards.”