Tobago

$20 million for Tobago Heritage Festival

Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert ad­mit­ted of be­ing over­joyed by giv­ing To­ba­go $20 mil­lion for its To­ba­go Her­itage Fes­ti­val, stat­ing that if he could have al­lo­cat­ed more mon­ey to the an­nu­al event, he would have.

The $20 mil­lion was a frac­tion of the monies to be dis­trib­uted to To­ba­go’s tourism sec­tor, as an ad­di­tion­al $40 mil­lion will be giv­en in the next fis­cal year for a “rolling three-year tourism plan.”

Griffith promises to lockdown Tobago

Police Commissioner Gary Griffith says he will "lockdown" Tobago so that the nation can be safer.

Speaking at the Scarborough Police headquarters during his maiden visit as Police Commission earlier today, Griffith said he will increase the number of patrols, install an emergency number for a quicker response time, ensure greater visibility of security services personnel, introduce tourism safety-related measures and build an operation command centre on the island.

Tobago Chamber in turmoil as George quits

To­ba­go Cham­ber of In­dus­try and Com­merce vice chair­man Mar­tin George has re­signed.

George, who was part of the new man­age­ment com­mit­tee head­ed by new chair­man Claude Benoit, was elect­ed and in­stalled along­side Benoit in March this year.

But in a shock­ing turn of events, Benoit was re­moved from his po­si­tion by an ex­ec­u­tive vote be­fore George, who was to take over as chair­man, re­signed and made the de­ci­sion pub­lic via a state­ment on his Face­book page on Tues­day night.

CAL plane didn't run off runway but...

Caribbean Airlines is denying reports that one of its aircraft ran off the runway at the ANR Robinson Airport in Tobago today.

Caribbean Airlines says that flight BW 3502 landing at the ANR Robinson International Airport, Tobago was brought to a stop at the end of the runway at the ANR Robinson International Airport in keeping with standard operating procedures, after the cockpit crew was alerted by a strong smell of alcohol in the aircraft.

Tobago resident complains of water leaking for over a month

This video was sent to us by a resident of Tobago, seeking help in getting a water leak fixed.

The resident said the water has been leaking for about a month and all calls for it to be fixed have not resulted in a positive response.

 

Tobago admitted to World Tourism Cities Federation

Tobago has been admitted to the World Tourism Cities Federation (WTCF), an international organisation formed by prominent cities and tourism-related institutions that serves as a platform for its members to share experiences and best practices towards the building of their destination brands.

It came at the World Tourism Cities Federation (WTCF) Fragrant Hills Tourism Summit 2018, in Qingdao, China.

Tourism Minister Randall Mitchell, who led a delegation to the summit, expressed enthusiasm to embrace city tourism.

3 men escape police custody

In two separate incidents, three men have escaped police custody. In the most recent incident, Scarborough police are searching for a man identified as Heston Lopez.
They say Lopez who is originally from Trinidad was under police guard at the Scarborough General Hospital, on Friday evening when he managed to evade officers and make his escape.
Meanwhile, officers of The Inter-Agency Task Force and Port of Spain Division are searching for two men who also escaped police custody last week.

THA completes first phase of Buccoo Enhancement Project

The THA Division of Infrastructure, Quarries and the Environment has complete Phase 1 of the Buccoo Waterfront Enhancement Project.

The installation of concrete benches was a part of phase 1 of a project that will also see a pedestrian walkway and railings installed.

The aim is to create a relaxing spot for fishermen, tourists and villagers in one of Tobago's most popular villages.

The concrete benched were produced by the Concrete Products Unit, Unemployment Relief Programme (URP).

Three men in court following confrontation with Tobago police

A Mt. St. George, Tobago man, recorded in a video which was later circulated online, in open confrontation with the police, now faces multiple charges including resisting arrest; assaulting a police officer and obstructing a police officer in the execution of his duties.

Joha Phillips, 29, a labourer of Back Street, Mt. St. George, who was also charged with escaping lawful custody and obscene language, pleaded guilty to the obscene language charge when he appeared before Magistrate Kurson Depradine, in the Scarborough 2nd Magistrates’ Court, on Friday 20th July, 2018.

Pages