Police Commissioner Gary Griffith says the police will continue to monitor vehicular traffic as the floods slowly recede. He assured that traffic arrangements were put in place so that by 3 pm today, when the traffic from north to south picks up again, there will be no gridlocks.
"We plan to clear both the north and southbound carriageways totally for the flow of traffic by 3 pm," he said.
He denied that the flooding caused a bottleneck earlier today.
The testimony of the State's main witness in the preliminary inquiry into Senior Counsel Dana Seetahal's murder is causing massive traffic gridlock leading into Port-of-Spain this morning.
While there are regular traffic restrictions for weekly hearings of the case at the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court, the T&T Police Service (TTPS) reportedly imposed extra measures this morning as the witness was starting to give evidence.
Works and Transport Minister Rohan Sinanan says works being done at the Beetham Highway will not lead to any traffic congestion when the new school term opens on Monday since all work should be completed tonight.
Last week, motorists complained of bumper to bumper traffic as two culverts along the Highway were being installed. The Priority Bus Route had to be opened to ease congestion.
The Ministry of Works and Transport is advising the public that there will be a temporary traffic disruption along the Solomon Hochoy Highway-South Bound, in the vicinity of Gasparillo Bypass and the Brian Lara Stadium Access Route from Thursday.
It says this has become necessary in order to facilitate road rehabilitation and stabilization works which will commence on Thursday 30th August, 2018 and end on Sunday 2nd September, 2018 between the hours of 9pm and 5am.
In light of this, motorists are advised to comply with the following:-
The Ministry of Works and Transport is advising that Independence Square South, between Nelson Street and George Street, will be closed to vehicular traffic this evening.
This traffic arrangement will take effect from 6pm today.
The ministry says this has become necessary to facilitate repair works to the Roman Catholic Cathedral.
Motorists are being asked to utilize alternative routes such as Nelson Street to South Quay, then unto their final destination.
The Ministry of Works and Transport is apologising for any inconvenience caused.
Motorists entering the capital city may encounter traffic delays.
This as works along the Beetham Highway have not been completed on time. This morning the ministry advised that works to replace the westbound side of Beetham culverts experienced delays due to unforeseen circumstances.
There remains in place a diversion of two lanes westbound traffic onto eastbound lanes of the Beetham Highway.in addition, single-lane traffic along westbound lane will be permitted for those entering POS via Beetham flyover.
The Division of Infrastructure, Quarries and the Environment is advising the public that traffic disruptions at the Lambeau-Signal Hill intersection will be extended as electrical work continues on the traffic light system.
The Division says the traffic lights will be fully functional again tomorrow Tuesday 24th July, 2018 from 4:00 p.m.
In the interim, motorists and pedestrians are advised to observe the flashing amber lights and to approach the intersection with caution.
Enforcement officers will be monitoring traffic at the intersection.
The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service has confirmed that there has been no obstruction to the normal flow of traffic along the Beetham Highway, Port of Spain, contrary to reports circulating via social media.
A statement by the TTPS says that following a police-involved shooting incident in the Beetham Gardens area around 6:30 am today, officers of the Port of Spain Division moved in swiftly to maintain law and order.
It says that as a consequence of the preemptive action of the police, there was no disruption in the flow of traffic.