UNC

Hundreds turn out for UNC rally

Hun­dreds flocked to at­tend the UNC’s Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment launch on Sunday at the car park of the UNC’s Cou­va South Con­stituen­cy of­fices at Cam­den Road, Cou­va. The crowd was not as mas­sive as in the days of Kam­la-ma­nia pri­or to the 2010 gen­er­al elec­tion but was con­sid­er­ably dif­fer­ent since there was a large gath­er­ing of Afro-T&T sup­port­ers and Venezue­lan na­tion­als don­ning UNC T-shirts who came out to sup­port can­di­dates from north and south Trinidad.

OWTU: “Injunction against Refinery deal was political…”

THE Oilfields Workers Trade Union (OWTU) is calling the injunction to block the sale of the Petrotrin Refinery a political move.

This after the United National Congress (UNC) distanced itself from any legal action with respect to the sale of the refinery.

Education and Research Officer of the OWTU, Ozzie Warwick, told Guardian Media that members of the UNC—namely Oropouche East MP, Dr Roodal Moonilal—lied on the union in the Parliament.

He says they are taking that very seriously.

UNC: “We are not against the OWTU…”

The United National Congress has made it clear that the party did not file any lawsuit seeking an injunction to block the sale of the Pointe-a-Pierre Refinery.

The political party has issued an official statement, in which it explains that concerned citizens are the ones who’ve filed the constitutional claim.

The lawsuit has been filed against the Chairman of the Joint Select Committee on Energy Affairs—Finance Minister Colm Imbert—over his failure to convene a meeting for close to two years.

UNC moves to block sale of Petrotrin

The Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress (UNC) is seek­ing an in­junc­tion tem­porar­i­ly block­ing the sale of Petrotrin’s Pointe-a-Pierre re­fin­ery. 

The par­ty, through its for­mer sen­a­tor Wayne Sturge, filed the in­junc­tion ap­pli­ca­tion yes­ter­day as part of a con­sti­tu­tion­al mo­tion law­suit over the fail­ure of Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert to hold a Joint Se­lect Com­mit­tee (JSC) on En­er­gy Af­fairs for the past 19 months. 

LA GUERRE: “2020 Election a two party race…”

Political analyst, Professor John La Guerre, is predicting that the upcoming 2020 General Election will be very, very close, and predominantly, a two-party race.

He also warns that there may be a lot of mud-slinging, as both major parties try to poach voters from each other, to gain ascendancy.

According to Professor La Guerre, times have changed dramatically, as has the electorate, and it won’t be easy for any one political party to get an overwhelming majority.

He told us if the election were called today, it would be a dead heat between the PNM and the UNC.

Murder accused linked to contract to kill AG

The death threat made against At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Faris Al-Rawi came from some­one be­hind prison walls by a man al­ready fac­ing a mur­der charge on the high-pro­file mat­ter.

Guardian Me­dia was able to con­firm that the man’s fa­ther is al­so be­ing mon­i­tored by po­lice as he has been try­ing to meet with Al-Rawi to de­mand a speedy tri­al for his son.

UNC: Anomalies in voters lists for four marginals

The United National Congress (UNC) is calling on the Elections And Boundaries Commission (EBC) to launch a probe into what it says are abnormalities with voter lists in four marginal parliamentary constituencies.

In an official statement, the UNC says it had been conducting its own house to house examination of the list of registered voters in each constituency, meeting each voter in person.

No CEPEP cuts, circumstances permitting—Minister

Cir­cum­stances “per­mit­ting,” there will be no cuts in the CEPEP labour force or con­trac­tors, said Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment Min­is­ter Kaz­im Ho­sein yes­ter­day.

Ho­sein said if the need aris­es, it may be re­viewed, “but as of to­day there will be no cuts”. He stressed this dur­ing yes­ter­day’s Stand­ing Fi­nance Com­mit­tee scruti­ny of the 2020 Bud­get.

UNC not worried about litigation threats over San Fernando Highway project

The United National Congress says it is not surprised by threats of litigation coming from the People's National Movement, over the San Fernando Highway Extension Project.

Vo

During his contribution to the budget debate on Friday, Minister in the Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs, Fitzgerald Hinds, spoke about the Project, stating that “there was a tremendous amount of litigation taking place arising out of land acquisition in those matters”.

Pages