Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley has reiterated that any interference in Venezuela affairs is “illegal” and this country will continue to take stance of “non-interference” in the Venezuelan presidential impasse.
The Deputy to the Venezuelan National Assembly, Carlos Valero is making his position clear, that the National Assembly rejects the treatment of Venezuelans in Trinidad and Tobago and the Dr Keith Rowley government because of its recognition of the Nicolas Maduro regime.
Last week, Valero issued a statement which seemed to praise the government for the way it handled the situation involving 19 girls who were rescued from sex traffickers.
But Valero issued a statement Monday, saying that his original statement might have been misinterpreted by the Trinidad and Tobago media.
Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro has sought OPEC support against U.S. sanctions imposed on his country's oil industry, citing their impact on oil prices and potential risks for other members of the producer group.
But a source familiar with the matter said the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, of which Venezuela is a founding member, had declined to make any formal statement. OPEC says it is concerned with oil policy, not politics.
Roman Catholic Archbishop Father Jason Gordon is reiterating his call for Venezuelans to be given the chance to have a better life in T&T.
32 illegal immigrants have been arrested by Police after being found in Penal.
Police say Officers from the South Western Division and Immigration Division were conducting an exercise. They held seven persons at a house in Suchit Trace, Penal, while 23 others were discovered in a Penal bar. Police say 31 out of the 32 held were Venezuelan Nationals, while one is from Guyana. Nine persons were given notices and allowed to leave, while the others are being held. Police say three persons were also arrested for gaming machine offences. Investigations are ongoing.
The 19 Spanish-speaking girls who were rescued by police on Wednesday during raids at a Chinese restaurant in Woodbrook and homes in Diego Martin and Westmoorings have all been placed at an undisclosed location rather than the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) which lacks space.
National Security Minister Stuart Young made the disclosure at yesterday’s post-Cabinet media briefing at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s.
One Venezuelan politician is thanking the government of this country after more than a dozen Venezuelan girls were rescued yesterday.
Deputy Carlos Valero, who is a member of the foreign policy commission of the national assembly, posted the message to his Twitter page this morning.
He described it as one of the most serious cases recorded by Venezuelan migrants in Trinidad and Tobago.
Five of the fishermen reportedly abducted by Venezuelan pirates have returned to this country after more than a week
Early this morning 35-year-old Lynton Manohar, 38-year-old Jason O'Brien, 28-year-old Brandon Arjoon, 17-year-old Jagdesh jaikeran and 49-year-old Rickey Rambharose, all of Morne Diablo, Penal came back to Trinidad on a pirogue.
A US 200 thousand dollars ransom had been demanded for their safe return.
O'Brien's brother Jerry who was also kidnapped along with the others was sent back home last Thursday with an instruction to pay the ransom.
A mechanism has been devised to address the ongoing conflict in neighbouring Venezuela.
Caricom leaders, including prime minister Dr. Keith Rowley, along with the governments of Uruguay and Mexico have established the Montevideo mechanism.
It was the major outcome of a meeting in Uruguay this morning where countries and organisations who've taken a non-interventionist approach to the crisis gathered to discuss the way forward.