As the boat that brought her to Trinidad and Tobago neared the shore at Cedros, “opportunity” was on the mind of Margaret Ebjeh. A 37-year-old mother of four, this Venezuelan migrant’s immediate future now hinges on the Government’s migrant amnesty policy which begins on Friday. Not only will she be able to work legally in this country for a year after completing the process, but Ebjeh will finally be able to visit her four children back in Venezuela and return to T&T without a hiccup.
Day-after-day, the Ordaz family, who settled in Penal after fleeing Venezuela, go in search of work.
They were among 105 people who were arrested by the police after being found in the forests near Palo Seco last week.
Since they were granted Orders of Supervision notices by the Immigration Division, they have been trying to earn a living.
They sell cake and arepas to earn money to pay a $3,000 rent for a house they occupy at Morne Diablo.
Seventeen of them live in the house.
A Venezuelan refugee who had six relatives aboard a pirogue which disappeared on May 16 with 29 passengers which left Güiria for Chaguaramas is pleading for authorities in T&T and Venezuela to locate them.
Kender Berra, who has been living in this country for more than a year, believes the missing pirogue Ana María was hijacked.
Berra, who is originally from El Tigre, Anzoátegui state, told a Venezuelan news outlet he and his brother waited in vain on a wharf in Chaguaramas for the vessel to arrive.
In two days, a total of 47 Venezuelans appeared in the San Fernando Magistrates Court for illegally entering the country. The majority have been slapped with fines totally $123,000.
Twenty-two appeared on Monday, 19 were fined a total of $57,000 and three were discharged. On Wednesday, 25 Venezuelans, including six women, pleaded guilty before First Court Senior Magistrate Jo-Anne Connor.
They admitted to entering the country at a port of entry which is not designated port and failing to report to an immigration officer.
In order to force embattled Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro to act to defuse the current situation affecting the south-American nation, which has led to millions of citizens fleeing the country, a US intelligence expert is recommending that all cash inflows to Venezuela be stopped immediately.
In addition, he said another sign of good faith by Maduro would be the immediate release of close to 800 political prisoners.
While the ban on Venezuelan ferries continued at the Cedros port, three Venezuelan cargo boats docked at Kings Wharf, San Fernando early Wednesday, bringing goods from Venezuela.
Around 7:30 am, Guardian Media captured the arrival of the vessels which came from Guiria.
One was a larger ship while the two others were smaller pirogues.
Most of the Venezuelans did not speak English and they shied away from media cameras.
However, a source said the cargo included ground provisions from the South American mainland.
Even though Minister of National Security Stuart Young says the Cedros port is operational, three Venezuelan ferries are still awaiting clearance to come to the Cedros port with 86 legitimate passengers.
A source who requested anonymity said up to noon on Tuesday, the vessels Virgen de Valle from Guiria which carried 28 passengers, another vessel named Virgen de Valle from Tucupita carrying 30 passengers and Poseidon carrying 18 passengers failed to dock at the Cedros port.